Friday, January 16, 2009

Friday Fun Thread: Ragtops!

When I put out the call for thread ideas a while back, as soon as I started getting some really good ideas in comments, I thought of one myself. Today's fun thread is going to center around the best ragtops on the market. Now, a couple of caveats: These are convertibles that are, for the most part, accessible to the general car market. Sure, the Lamborghini Gallardo convertible is an impressive piece of Italian supercar, but it's also $400K. Also, these are current-ish cars - otherwise the 1950s and 1960s would simply dominate.


With that said, here's the list!

1. Mazda Miata - let's face it, the Miata single-handedly revived the two-seater ragtop that all but died out with the last of the MGBs. Small, nimble, albeit a bit girlish, the Miata brought back *fun* to the motoring public.

2. Mustang GT - the last of the American muscle cars is also the last of the American muscle convertibles. At least until Mopar wises up and makes a Challenger drop top...

3. Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice - Let's face it, the offerings from GM in the drop top department recently have been pathetic - no Camaro, not even a stinkin' Cavalier Z24. Then they rolled out these two and (at least partially) redeemed themselves.

4. Nissan 350Z - I've always been a fan of the Datsun/Nissan Z family, from the 240 right up through the current 350. The 300Z had a limited number of convertibles produced, but it wasn't until the upgrade to the 350Z that they became commonplace.

5. Cadillac XLR - this is what the Allante was supposed to be. Built on the Corvette frame with the 320 HP Northstar V8 under the hood, the XLR has a top speed of 155 MPH...

6. Honda S2000 - Honda's first rear-wheel drive car in 30 years, the S2000 got off to a poor start sales-wise with insane mark-ups and delivery issues. Released to celebrate Honda's 50th year of sales, the S2000 recaptured the sporty S series of cars and brought performance back to the Blue...

7. Mercedes Kompressor 230 - what's not to like about the first retractable hardtop since the Ford Fairlane? With sharp styling, the hook of the hardtop you didn't need to store in the back of the garage, and the Mercedes nameplate, the SLK 23o was a big hit in the ragtop world and spawned many future retractable hardtops.

8. Chrysler Sebring - speaking of retractable hardtops, the latest incarnation of the Sebring has such an option. It's an affordable, roomy convertible with plenty of options, and represents a quantum leap for Mopar from the Dodge 600 convertible...

9. Toyota MR2 Spyder - from the days of the "door wedge", the MR2 really came into its own with the Spyder variant (convertible top). Sadly, much like the Supra before it, Toyota killed off the MR2 Spyder right after they got it right... Apparently the partnership with GM had its disadvantages...

10. BMW Z3 roadster - If it seems like I'm shamelessly pandering to Tam, well, it's because I am... Actually, the Z3 makes the list on its own merits, being the first BMW roadster in modern times as well as the first BMW made in the US.




So there's my list of Top Ten favorite modern convertibles. As always, feel free to rebut or add in comments.

That is all.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Mazda, absolutely -- the Caddy, maybe-- the Sebring is a great Florida rental car. I really like the BMW Z8, but let's stay realistic. I would put the Corvette C6 convertible on the list.

Jay G said...

Libertyman,

With the Caddy XLR on the list, the C6 'Vette really is redundant.

It's a great choice, mind you. Just didn't want to sample too heavily from GM, especially because I hate them... ;)

Unknown said...

I think you forgot one...

JEEP
http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2007-jeep-rubicon.jpg

Borepatch said...

I'll second that Jeep thing.

Actually, what strikes me as a (relatively new) transplant to New England is how many Saab 9-3 convertibles you see. I mean it's zero degrees, fer crying out loud.

Honorable mention for the Volvo C70 ("It's like the Saab, only safer!").

BobG said...

I'll stick with my old ragtop Wrangler, thanks.

Jay G said...

I'm sorry y'all.

Dad G. owned a Wrangler.

It ain't a convertible. Not even close. It's an open air vehicle with a canvas monstrosity that takes three men and a boy to put on in less than 20 minutes.

Now, watch when I put up my list of favorite trucks... ;)

Anonymous said...

The Caddy is for guys with all gray hair, I think there is a different demographic versus the Vette.

Mike W. said...

RE # 9. IMO the MR-2 spyder was an abomination. I loved the looks of both the tiny AW11 and larger, more rounded SW20 but the Spyder just screamed "girl car" to me.

Plus the 1st & 2nd Gen MR-2s were both avaliable with forced induction. A supercharged 4A-GZE in the AW11 and a turboed 3S-GTE in the SW20. Then Toyota gives us the MR2 Spyder and puts a damn
1ZZ-FE Corolla motor in it. They really should have stuffed a 2ZZ in it, or maybe turboed the 1ZZ.

Two good things you can say about the spyder though. 1. It's light as hell, even lighter than an AW11 I think. 2. - It handles like it's on rails.

Jay - I'm guessing the Supra wouldn't count on your list, since a targa top isn't really a "ragtop" per se?

zeeke42 said...

How about the Lotus Elise?

Anonymous said...

ok you all call laugh at me but I loved my Red Geo metro covertable.

wasn't winning any dragraces in it but I loved it

beth