Monday, March 19, 2007

Take Your Neighbor to the Range Day...

Alternate title: Just call me Johnny Gunnieseed...

In the small world department, I find out through my local gun board (Derek's place) that my next-door-and-across-the-street neighbors are interested in the shooting sports. I found out that they had taken their first steps towards getting their MA gun permits, which is to take a safety course with an approved instructor (who, just BTW, is a real sweetheart that I've had the privilege of meeting).

So, I took my neighbors to the range yesterday afternoon. I brought along a few of the staples, the bread-and-butter of the armory, so to speak. Packed a Colt 1911, the Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum, my SW99 in .40 S&W, and the model 17 .22LR. Interestingly enough, he sends me a PM after I packed up and asked if I could bring "a .45 1911"... "a semiauto "plastic" gun"... and "a .38 revolver". Heh.

Comment/highlight of the afternoon: He turns to me, after putting a full magazine of .45 ACP goodness into a tight 3" group in the dead center of a "Q" target, shit-eatin' grin on his face, and says, "That just... feels... right".

A close second was the biiig smile on her face while she shot the model 17 - she wasn't a big fan of recoil...

Afterwards we drooled over the guns in the cases, commiserated about the lousy gun laws in MA, and made tentative plans for a second outing...

Just doin' what I can to spread the gun-nuttery...

9 comments:

BobG said...

Making the world a better place, one shooter at a time...

Derek said...

This article put a big smile on my face. Jay don't forget to have them join GOAL if they already haven't. Keep up the good work buddy.

Anonymous said...

J,
I'd say you have the next three issues of Scenes from a Safe covered by that list . . .

Jay G said...

bobg,

That's what I'm trying to do. Although this case was a "twofer" - it was my neighbor *and* his wife (the lucky SOB; I can't drag my wife to the range...)

derek,

Excellent point about GOAL (and the NRA). Will do.

Brad,

An excellent suggestion! Especially since two of the three guns in question are part of my "Total Quality" approach. ;)

Derek said...

Jay,

I actually carry around GOAL applications in my truck glove compartment just incase I'm at the range talking to a shooter who isn't a member. We need as many as we can get to join the good fight.

D

James R. Rummel said...

Good post.

James

Jay G said...

Derek,

That's a great idea. I'll add a couple of GOAL applications to my "Emergency Kit" in the glovebox.

The one that currently contains 2 FA-10 forms and 2 copies of my C&R.

Just in case.

Thanks James!

We all had a great time. I got to know my neighbors a little better, they got to try some new hardware (he REALLY liked the 1911), and I got to the range...

Ride Fast said...

Kudos to you. I wish opportunities like that came up more often.

Well done.

The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Took out two new shooters a couple weeks ago.

You can't beat that first-time 45 ACP smile they get, can you?