Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Quote of the Day™

Is it bad form to quote one's self? Oh well...

From an e-mail I just sent to a buddy:

"Five seconds of sugar-coated happiness isn't worth 500 calories."


(In reference to skipping birthday cake at work functions).

Had my daughter's birthday party on this past Saturday. Yeah, the one day of the weekend when it rained, while the other day of the weekend was stone-cold gorgeous. That's how I roll. My buddy P. came up for the festivities (well, his whole family; his kids are about the same age as mine and are, as they put it, god-cousins) :)

He's been inspired by my weight loss and is doing fucking great himself - down almost 60 pounds since last September. We've been providing each other's moral support through our weight loss experience, and are trying to gently persuade another member of our group of friends to try a diet rather than invasive surgery.

I've lost close to 100 pounds in the past year and a half, and for the most part eaten what I wanted (just a LOT less of it). I've had to make many strategic substitutions and search high and low for low(er) calories options, but they're out there. One of the good side benefits of the current hysteria re: obesity is that restaurants are starting to put their nutritional information on the internet - my general rule when I was actively dieting was that if I couldn't find a restaurant's nutritional information online, I didn't eat there...

One of these days I'm going to sit down and put finger to keyboard and see if I can't squeeze out a diet book from my experience. Call it "Weight Loss for Guys" or something like that...

4 comments:

Cowboy Blob said...

Five seconds of sugar-coated happiness isn't worth 500 calories."

Well, there's yer problem right there! Yer eatin' too fast. :)

Anonymous said...

You write the book and I will buy the first copy.

It seems to me that if we can put a man on the moon we could make something that you could eat constantly that is crunchy and salty tasting and calorie free.

I can gain weight on plain popcorn.

Anonymous said...

good for you MArooned !!

life is a diet for soooooo many people



the commandress speaks

Jay G said...

CB,

Heh, good point. Although if you'd seen the size of the slices of cake they bring around, 5 seconds isn't too much of a stretch. Doesn't take a lot of willpower to resist 5 cc's of cake... ;)

buck,

I'm only half-kidding about the book. I've started an introduction already. What the heck, worst that can happen is writing it keeps me occupied and away from spending money on stupid shit on the internet, right? :)

And roger that on the low-cal stuff. I've found a handful of stuff that's good (Ritz baked chips are exceptionally good, f'rinstance), and you can't go wrong with good jerky (as long as you can handle the salt...), but by and large it boils down to two words: "Portion Control".

Thanks commandress!

What I'm coming to realize, and it's something I knew when I started this, was that I needed to change HOW I ate, not just WHAT I ate. I've been heavy my whole life. I've been on and off diets my whole life. I knew that, for this time, if I wanted it to stick, I needed to change my mindset as well as the food on my plate.

So far, some 18 months in, it appears to be working. Time will tell, of course; there's no guarantee that this time next year I won't have ballooned back up.

But I'm going to do my damnedest to prevent any backsliding. I *like* being thin...