Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Itchin' For a Fight...

My pal doubletrouble, over at the newly minted Rattail Bastard, asks a thought-provoking question.
"You showed amazing restraint back then. It's kind of funny- you younger folk (not disparaging your age- wanna trade?) didn’t "fight" much, it appears. I know my son didn’t, nor did many of his friends. Back in the ‘50s- ‘60s, when I was a yute, it was damn near a daily occurrence. That’s how we settled our differences, mostly. I’m not saying that’s a good thing, but I wonder what happened? Now, of course, you’d have the swat team out @ the first sign of fisticuffs, & an army of lawyers right behind.An interesting, albeit strange commentary on the "evolution" of civilization, no?"

Well, I'll speak only for myself, both as a young man growing up and as a father to a young boy just entering the cutthroat world of schoolyard taunts and bullies.


First off, personally, I didn't get into many fights growing up. I got the snot beaten out of me on a regular basis as I've mentioned before. I was always smaller, a year behind everyone else in the growth spurt curve, a fat kid awkward in body with a gung-ho cop dad whose only advice was "don't come crying to me if you lose" [the fight].


As I grew older (and started working out), it became apparent to me that I was not cut out for fighting - I wouldn't fight over small stuff, and if something got big enough to fight over, I was in it to win. I found that, in the rare cases where someone pushed me to the point of fighting back, that I wasn't just fighting that person - I was fighting a long list of people who had wronged me in the past and I had never confronted.


Which usually had dire consequences for the person who tangled with me. Fortunately, there were only a couple of incidents, and in neither case was anyone permanently injured. There was a young man picked up and held out of a 7 story window, though...






All this, of course, doesn't answer doubletrouble's question...


For me (and, by extension, my generation), fighting was not (yet) completely discouraged. We hadn't seen the idiocy of both boys getting in trouble when a bully finally received his comeuppance as seems to be the case these days. Schoolyard fights were still commonplace; school shootings were practically unheard of; the most you could expect from a fight was a talking-to by the vice principal. There was no anger-management counseling, nor were kids expelled under idiotic "zero tolerance" rules.

Alas, things are different for my son and his contemporaries. In a mad rush to "de-boy" the schoolboy, fighting is now harshly punished for all participants - even when it's a kid fighting back to defend himself. Grief counselors are called in whenever something bad happens in a foolhardy attempt to insulate kids from the cold harsh reality of life. Simple childhood games of "tag" are banned because we don't want to hurt the feelings of the kid who's "it".

We're rounding the edges off of everything, wrapping these kids in bubble-wrap, and only allowing them to play with safe and sterile Nerf™ toys. Even worse, we're deluding ourselves into thinking that this is somehow good for our kids - as though failure is something that they need to be protected from, rather than learn from. And we're doing them a terrible disservice.

We learn the most not when something works, but when it doesn't work. When something works, when everyone gets along, we don't question anything. When something doesn't work, when someone in the group just won't play well with others, we have to examine the situation and decide if the group is wrong or if it's the individual. And yes, sometimes fighting is necessary. Bullies cannot be allowed to go unchecked. Wrongs need to be righted, lest we spend our lives looking over our shoulders.



I fear for the day when I get the call that my son is in trouble for fighting. Because if he's in trouble because he was defending himself (or someone else); if he's facing disciplinary action because he stood up to a bully; I will raise all sorts of holy hell about it. I refuse to accept that fighting is never allowed, for there are still things worth fighting for. And one's dignity is one of those things.

That is all.

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

My 13 year old nephew got suspended for fighting. Turns out the kid he beat the snot out of pulled his hair and called his mama a not very nice name reminiscent of the oldest profession known to man. It wasn't the hair pulling that got the kid punched it was the trash talking about his mama that got his ass kicked. Lucky for young nephew his daddy is a pretty decent lawyer. Turns out when daddy asked the principle what he would do if someone called his sweet little old mama a slut, the priciple agreed he'd probably have hit the guy too. The suspension was revoked. Some things really are worth fighting for.

RW said...

Wel already have this planned out should it ever occur:

1. should our son be the one at fault, then his punishment at school will not come close to the punishment at home (and for everyone out there thinking 'how can you punish a kid with autism?', let me put your minds at rest: he's smarter than all of us & knows the difference between right & wrong, to the point of ignoring troublesome kids in the past, walking away & doing exactly the 'right thing' before the kid went overboard).

2.a. If my son gets the rough end of the deal, I'll give him some pointers on how to defend himself and;
2.b. If my son gets the upper hand, I'll discuss the situation & note how he did the right thing and commend him for stopping just before hurting the other guy permanently but not before teaching the little bastard a lesson, leading up to:

2.a. and 2.b. conclusion: I take vacation & we go to an amusement park or matinee & spoil the fellah. I couldn't care less if the school decides "no tolerance" includes defending yourself, he'll be spoiled by me for doing the right thing. If you want peace, sometimes you gotta fight.

Jay G said...

lb,

Good on both your nephew and his dad! A lot of times, the simple act of the parent showing up will get the school to back down - they're afraid of lawyers from EITHER side.

Ricky,

Bingo on all counts. My son also knows that if he's in the wrong, whatever the school does will only be the start. If he's in the right, I'll back him 100% and push as far as I have to.

knitalot3 said...

I think sometimes schools do the wrong thing because they don't get support from the parents.

I think they are more likely to let the parents handle it if they will.

Sadly enough, many parents don't teach or discipline their kids - probably part of the reason for the fight in the first place.

I agree that the zero tolerance rules suck. Part of being a kid is screwing up and learning from it.

Anonymous said...

Very well said J.
& thanks for the link, I finally figured out how to link you as well, but don't hold your breath for the, what is it called, "Instalanch"?
heh.

Anonymous said...

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments above.

I was notified by my wife this evening that my son (9) came home today with a homework page that included a doodle of a kid shooting a gun. Now, I think that's just dandy, but I also know there're some schools that'll have issues with that if he's "caught".

I'm talking to the Principal tomorrow to discuss the issue, and ensure there isn't some knee-jerk freakout if/when the boy draws another gun (on paper) and some "educator" notices.

Anonymous said...

Reference wrapping our kids in bubblewrap: We're legislating, safety regging, bike helmet wearing, no-contact-sports playing Darwin out of the youngest and next generations. We may end up with a genius generation that cannot last five minutes standing on a hillside,at night, in a rainy October, without a cell phone, without a map, w/o GPS, w/o Nanny to make it all better.
Hunter
KTN, Alaska

Jay G said...

knit,

I think it goes further than not getting support from the parents; I think in a good many cases the parents actively undermine the school - there's no way that THEIR little angel could POSSIBLY have done something wrong.

So the school institutes a zero brain, err, tolerance policy where any technical infraction of the rules results in draconian punishment. Like the kid in GA who got expelled (and a possible felony) for having a swiss army knife in his car...

doubletrouble,

I tried, in my own ham-handed way, to interpret things as I see fit.

And I didn't even use (too many) curse words!

Glad to see the cannon getting its moment in the sun, BTW.... ;)

jetfxr69,

I can only guess you're somewhere in "free America" (a.k.a. outside of the East or West coasts), because a drawing of a gun around here brings a lockdown and the SWAT team.

And I'm only barely exaggerating - we had several schools shut down over a single round of .22LR found on school grounds...

Hunter,

I'm predicting a backlash. My son started Cub Scouts this year, and I volunteered to help out (which resulted in my getting chosen as the new assistant cubmaster, go figure).

We're seeing RECORD enrollment in our pack and our district. In the Cub Scouts. Who are directly related to the oft-maligned Boy Scouts. In Massa-fucking-chusetts, of all places...