Monday, November 26, 2007

Be Vewwy, Vewwy Qwiet...

I's huntin' punkins...

Saturday was the Northeastshooters forum Annual (I hope) Pumpkin shoot. We met at a member's range in central MA for a day of camaraderie, ogling and sharing of weaponry, and devastation of vegetation not normally seen outside the grounds of the Halliburton Weather Machine testing ground. Without further ado, I present:

The Great Pumpkin Massacre of 2007.



Stalking the elusive prey:




Setting out decoys:




Which one of those intrepid punkin hunters was your intrepid host? Here's a hint:





Here's our blind. Note the victims blissfully unaware of the gruesome fate about to befall them...





NOTE: The following picture is not for the squeamish. It shows the actual death of a pumpkin. If you, or any of your loved ones, are members of the gourd family, you may want to click away at this point:


(Yes, that is a Smith & Wesson 500 Magnum brutally executing a helpless pumpkin).



One last shot of the carnage:


So... much... pumpkinshed... Won't someone think of the seedlings?



All kidding aside, it was a fantastic time. Over 80 people attended the shoot, with $5 per person going to GOAL. Not a bad day's work.

Random note#1: I found the secret to getting lots of pictures taken of my ugly mug: Wear a silly hat. When I woke up Saturday morning, the thermometer read 19ºF. I went for function over form in a big way, and wound up with that very warm, but rather silly hat...

Random note#2: I really, really, really like the Saiga-20. I probably shot ~ 60 rounds of slugs through it, and it digested everything I put into it with gusto. I think it had a little trouble loading one of the slugs, and I may have caused that when I fucked up getting the magazine in the mag well... The biggest problem, after the price of the magazines, will be justifying the Saiga-12 to the Finance Committee (a.k.a. Mrs. G.)...

Random note#3: The forend pistol grip on the Winchester might cause Sarah Brady to soil her armor because it's scary looking, but it doesn't help with the recoil of a 3" magnum slug... I think it's time for a Hogue forend...

That is all...

8 comments:

Countertop said...

Pumkiliscous!

breda said...

oh, yay! I was hoping for photos! It looks like you had a lot of fun! (the pumpkins, not so much)

Nice hat. =)

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you could get one of those contraptions that someone setup to hurl pumpkins like a catapult or trebuchet. Then you could have 'skeet' shooting, with pumpkins. :))

Anonymous said...

Jon,
Jay's been threatening to build a beer-can trebuchet -- for redneck trap !!!

Anonymous said...

"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."

Anonymous said...

"Cunning", I think is the word, but Joe beat me to it ;).

Good to hear someone had the chance to prove that "splatter matters" this year. I was planning on it, but then San Diego tried to burn itself down, and things got in the way.

Definitely looks like a blast, literally and figuratively!

Ride Fast said...

You beastly man, you! I'm jealous.

Anonymous said...

Don't you love the smell of splattered pumpkin in the fall?