Friday, November 9, 2007

Friday Gun Pr0n #32

Today's gun was supposed to go up last week, as it was inspired by Tam's Sunday Smith #20. But I'm an idiot, so here it is this week, hideously out of sequence:


This is a Colt Detective Special with a 3" barrel. This is a significantly more rare variant than the standard 2" barreled version so common to the cop-or-gumshoe genre. This one has seen extremely little use, judging from the flawless bluing and complete lack of wear. The serial number dates this gun to 1970 (great reference for finding Colt dates of manufacture here), which puts this gun at the tail end of Series 2 (Series 3 saw the introduction of a shroud for the ejector rod).

Thanks for looking. That is all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. I'm still looking for one in .22. I should say one that I can afford.
emdfl

SpeakerTweaker said...

SLICK!

Now (once again, forgive my uneducated eye) is that thing .357 or .38 Special? It looks to me like you have a speedloader for each.

Nice wheelgun, dude!



tweaker

Jay G said...

Actually, you have quite the discerning eye there, tweaker.

That Colt Detective Special is chambered in .38 special. I don't believe Colt ever chambered the DS in .357 Magnum. They did, however, chamber it in both .38 S&W and .32 Colt...

The speedloaders are for .357 Magnum and .38 special because I'm a lazy bastard who couldn't be bothered to take out the Magnums... ;)

BobG said...

Nice gun.

NotClauswitz said...

Oh Sweet Jesus, that's a gun!

doubletrouble said...

Rewind...

"I just lurves me some old Colts..."

Ayuh. That's a beauty, right there.

Jonathan said...

Love it, I have the two inch model, my Grandpa used it when he was a cop in New York, it's an amazing pistol.