Monday, March 24, 2008

Speechless...

Sometimes, the headline alone leaves me dumbstruck:

Cops chase stolen doughnut van; reward sweet
TOLEDO, Iowa - A bevy of officers chased a doughnut delivery van at speeds up to 100 mph before arresting the driver at gunpoint, authorities said.

The van, owned by Donut Delite of Moline, Ill., was stolen early Thursday while the driver was making deliveries at a local hospital. The driver had left the van running, and a man jumped in and headed for Iowa, just over the Mississippi River.

How fucking stupid do you have to be to hit 100 MPH in a stolen van? First off, I have my doubts about that speed - I'd be surprised if an utility-body van outfitted to carry large amounts of confectionary can fall at 100 mph. I'd guess that 100 mph is the magic number at which "speeding" becomes "driving to endanger" or somesuch like that. Secondly, those types of vehicles aren't known for their handling ability. It's surprising he didn't wreck before getting nabbed.

Then again, I'm sure the officers were doing their best to keep everything intact... Unreal. It all boils down to three little words: People are stupid.

That is all.

3 comments:

JD said...

OK, tell my you would not pay to see that. . . sounds like something out of a bad move. Donut van going 100mph trying to get away from the mass of cop cars chasing it. . . all you need is a coffee truck in front too. . .

= )

Why does it make me think of the Blues Brothers movie with the big chase scene. . . .

Had to be a donut van . . ..

Anonymous said...

I'll let the pic speak for itself.

http://poetry.rotten.com/donutland/

Anonymous said...

I think the three words might have been " Cops need donuts" heh.