Friday, April 11, 2008

Friday Gun Pr0n #54

In honor of a special upcoming range trip (more on this later), here's a throwback for Friday:



Here's a Model 1938 Turkish Mauser in the venerable and manly 8mm Mauser caliber (7.92X57mm). It has a five round fixed magazine that can be loaded with stripper clips (here's one of the few times when it is completely appropriate to say "clip" - note to the media...). It kicks like a mule, along the lines of a Mosin Nagant 91/30 in 7.65X54mmR or a 1903 Springfield in .30-06. Of course, that's nothing compared to what the bastard on the receiving end gets...


It's been a while since I shot the ol' girl. It's high time I corrected that egregious error...


That is all.

7 comments:

Ambulance Driver said...

Tell me something, Jay...

Do you handload for your 8mm, or use military surplus ammo?

I've got a German 8mm that has been sporterized (somewhat tastefully), but the only ammo I can ever find is plodding old Remington 170 grain Core Lokt.

I'd luuuurve to find something lighter, like say 150 grains, in a boattail spitzer.

*sigh*

If only Nosler made Ballistic Tips for the 8mm...

Jay G said...

That'd be the milsurp ammo, AD.

I don't handload. Yet.
Not until the kids grow up and leave the house.

I keep a picture of the Colt Anaconda that was blown to pieces by a double-charged .44 Magnum round as a reminder of why I don't reload - because it requires my undivided attention.

Besides, I just use the Mauser for ventilating gallon jugs. I only need minute-of-Era-bottle for that... ;)

Sigivald said...

I find that the M38 Turk kicks harder than a Nagant, but that's comparing it with my Finnish capture M91 (not /30).

I don't comprehend how an 11 or 12 pound rifle can kick like that, except terrible ergonomics. A buttpad fixes the problem.

(Unlike the Nagant, which I can fire without issue...)

Anonymous said...

That there's one nice looking rifle. Gotta love 8mm.
Ironic you mention the Mosin, as I picked myself up another Nagant today. Picked up quite a bit of the 7.62x54R ammo for 4 bucks/20 rounds.

dr mac said...

No fair getting Tam hot and bothered over a photo like that.

Weer'd Beard said...

Indeed the Yugo Mouser in 8mm I shot kicked a bit more than my Mosin M44, my 91/30 is nearly a kitten in comparison.

The 8mm has a lot more boot than the 7.62X54R IMHO

skipelec said...

Yogo M48.
I load 43 of Varget under 195 Hornaday.
At 2500 fps it prints 1" at 100yds.
Check Midway for dies and components.
Yeah howdy it kicks, but a folded cloth diaper under your shirt takes it away.

Skip