Friday, July 11, 2008

Friday Gun Pr0n #67

Here's something that, numerically, should have appeared back in March:


This is an Ithaca Arms model M-49, a single-shot .22 (S/L/LR) operated not by bolt but by lever - you literally place the round on top of the action, work the lever to drop it into the chamber, then manually cock the hammer. No safety, no tubular magazine, just a single round sitting on top.

It's entirely unremarkable except for one thing: This will be my son's first gun. It's small (short) enough to fit his body; it's fairly heavy, which will soak up every last ounce of recoil; and there's so little to go wrong that it is, for all intents and purposes, indestructible. Which is good when talking about 7 year old boys...

As of August 4th I'll (finally) be a member at a local (4 miles away!) gun club with a 100 yard rifle range, a 25 yard pistol range, and a 50 foot indoor range.

I expect to be posting my son's first range report next month. Another new shooter. In the Volksrepublik of Massa-fucking-chusetts. Ted Kennedy will cry.

That is all.

9 comments:

zeeke42 said...

What does the tube under the barrel do if it's not a magazine?

Borepatch said...

Mmmmm ... Lever gun!

Jay G said...

Makes it look like a regular lever gun...

It's a falling block action, I was trying to think of the name...

Anonymous said...

Aaah Man.

I've got a rifle that looks just like that...albeit a bit more beat up.

It was my first rifle (other than air rifles). My dad bought it for me when I was (IIRC) about 10.

I gave it to my son about the same time in his life, but he hasn't claimed it and taken it home with him because it needs some repairs that I just haven't gotten around to.

Someday, it will be one (or more) of my grandkid's first rifle.

Mine (or, more correctly, my son's) is a Savage Arms/Stevens model 89.

Do you have any idea when your Ithaca was manufactured? My understanding is that they were discontinued before Stevens started making them. Your's is gorgeous. Doesn't look like it spent much time in the woods with a pre-pubescent boy like mine does.

That rifle and I were inseparable for many years. What a great choice for a first rifle.

Jay G said...

I don't have the serial # handy, but I could probably find a rough estimate of when it was made.

I'd guess sometime AFTER 1950 or so, since it doesn't look like my dad used it much.

I've never shot it. I've been waiting for my son to take the first shot.

My son who, BTW, is named after my grandfather, from whom I inherited that rifle...

doubletrouble said...

Jay-
Are you sure you're not fishing around in MY gun locker?
The 49 was my first .22 as well, & it was made betweeen 1961 & 1978.
Like a maroon, I sold it years ago when I lived in the PRMA.
About 5 years ago I ran into a guy who wanted to sell one, & I snapped it up for $30. Not in such good shape, but hey, I kinda got my first rifle back...

dr mac said...

Congratulations on adding a new member to the real minutemen.

DJK said...

So cool! My wife is beggin' for a girl...I want a boy...and this is one of the reasons. However, I'm guessing I could get a girl to shoot too. We'll see, someday.

Congrats, how proud you will be to bestow a gift like that unto your own son.

instinct said...

Well, now I know what I am getting my kids (yeah, got another on the way) when they are old enough - or maybe get a couple ASAP.

Boy, girl, doesn't matter. In this house everyone shoots. :D