Saturday, August 2, 2008

Wheelgun Lust...

Mike just got a new one.

Og's holdin' onto one for a friend (for whatever reason, that happens to me, too).

Got me to thinking about a new wheelgun...

Problem is, wheelguns are well-represented in the G. armory. I've got plenty of .357 Magnums; lots of .22LR (from the target-ready Model 17 to the teensy NAA-mini22); and scads of .38 specials.

What are not well-represented are large-bore wheelguns (only one, and it's a loaner). I've divested of my .44 Mag & .44 Special offerings out of respect for my wallet - since I don't (yet) reload, they are far too expensive to shoot very often.

However...

The new gun range has a pistol caliber-only indoor range. Not only is it limited to pistol caliber, but non-Magnum rounds. This limits my cold-weather shooting to .22LR and .38 special, which really isn't too big of a deal, given that I carry a J-frame the majority of the time and have numerous .357Mag/.38 spl-chambered guns for target-shooting.

But it sure would be nice to have another big bore.

What I'm thinking, this time, is one of the .45 ACP wheelguns. Ideally, I'd love to pick up an old Smith & Wesson 1917 for this purpose, but they're either priced waaaay out of my league; are too valuable to be regular shooters; or need significant assistance due to the ravages of time. Sure, if I were to stumble across the right deal I'd jump on it, especially with the C&R license, but I haven't really thought too much about one. And the new retro S&Ws are nice, but spendy as well... A model 625 would be kinda neat, too, now that I think about it.

Outside of .45 ACP revolvers, the list gets much narrower. Sure, a 2.5" barreled .44 Special would be a neat alternative for a carry-revolver, but 5 rounds of .44 Special vs. 5 rounds of .357 Magnum doesn't offer any advantage - while adding significant weight and bulk. .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Long Colt; all are calibers that are seriously under-represented in the G. armory (I don't think I've ever even shot a .45 LC, AAMOF!), but the operating costs just don't add up.

What, then? .38 Special / .357 Magnum are still relatively inexpensive to shoot (especially if you know where to find quality reloads) and don't have issues with chambering lead bullets (as do many autoloaders). So what possibilities exist that aren't already covered?

  • A hammerless j-frame like the S&W 442 (I'm a sucker for blued firearms, what can I say?).
  • A nickle or chrome Model 10/15, preferably 4" heavy barrel (this would distinguish it enough from the other medium framed .38 special revolvers I already own).
  • A large-frame S&W .357 Magnum like the Model 27.
  • A large-frame S&W space gun .357 Magnum like the 327NG.
  • The holy grail of .38 special carry guns, the S&W 242Ti. This centennial L-framed, seven-shot .38 special +P-chambered revolver was only made for 1 year and is about as hard to find as VEPR mags. This is one of the guns on the short list of "Buy it on the spot".

Then again, I could just find another Colt Lawman or S&W Model 10 to whet the ol' appetite...

That is all.

13 comments:

Borepatch said...

JD had a sweet Marlin lever gun in .45LC. Seems he has a source for reloads, too.

Don't know what it would be like in a wheelgun (say, Vaquero if you're a cowboy like me, or a Blackhawk if you're normal).

Youtube goodness via 5 seconds of Google-fu:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF7XYqOtc8Q

breda said...

oh man...that 442 is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

I was able to shoot a Taurus in .44 Special a couple of weekends ago and it was a blast. Going to try and find one as soon as possible.

As an aside, you might want to remove Oscar Poppa from your blogroll. It's dead.

SlĂ inte!

Anonymous said...

The 442 is my warm weather carry gun. Can't go wrong with it. Just--uh--don't scrub the finish with anything harder than a Nylon brush. (It's painted, not blued. :o)

The additional problem with the big bores is lack of ammo, not just price. I'm a member of the Church of the 45 Colt, but I will admit that the selection is limited. Hand loading is a must.

I love shooting the 44s, but what a major pain to load the 44 Mag; I have to do a two-stage crimp so it digs in enough and doesn't buckle. And that big case just sucks up the expensive powder.

The 45 Colt is forgiving, and plays nice with medium and fast powders. I have the S&W 25-5, and I will request that this gun is buried with me in my casket. However, my perspective may be different from yours, since I not only hand load my 45 rounds, but I also cast my own lead bullets so they fit the generous dimensions of the Smith.

I would not write off the 44 L-frame Smiths. Would a 696 actually be heavier than a 686? I wouldn't feel under-gunned with a .44 Special. A Charter Bulldog, perhaps?

Since you are so well-equipped in the boomstick department, perhaps it's time to consider accessories over arms. If you have free time to spare, and you are certain you can keep the kids out of dad's special hobby area... is it time to consider hand loading?

zeeke42 said...

Smith is putting out a Heller commemorative 442 in the fall. That's one possibility. Also, there's a limited run of no lock 642s right now. Four Seasons had a few last I heard, but they were going fast. The 625 is a lot of fun too. It's pretty much THE choice if you want to shoot a wheelgun in the action handgun games.

Jay G said...

Ted,

I'd LOOOOVE to have one of the Uberti Colt SAA clones in .45 LC for "authenticity". But, as you well know as a fellow MAhole, they're not "safe" enough for us to own. Barring that, if I were going to get a single-action firearm again, it'd be a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Magnum with the 9mm conversion cylinder.

Just because.

breda,

It's pretty high on the list of guns I want to get, if for no other reason than to round out my collection of J-frames. I've already got the Chief's Special frame in the 360PD and the Bodyguard in the model 38, all I need is a hammerless now...

civis,

I actually had a Taurus .44 Special; it was the second gun I ever bought. Wound up shooting it like once every 5 years because of ammo cost.

Sorry to hear about OP. Let me know if you ever start it back up.

tjh,

I don't have the time or space for handloading right now. Hell, I barely have time to go shooting more than once a month, once every other month as it is.

The plan, down the road, is to finish the attic in my house into 2/3 open game/play room and 1/3 for gun room. I'm going to wall off ~ 1/3 of the attic (30X40, with kneewalls); put in a steel door; and set up my safes and cabinets in a climate-controlled room.

Approximately half of that room will be dedicated to a reloading setup...

Someday.

zeeke42,

I saw the Heller commerative.

$50 says it's not MA compliant. Just for the extra kick in the ass...

Weer'd Beard said...

Ruger Super redhawk Alaskan!

Get it in .454 Casull, and shoot .45 Colts out of it indoors, and have a KABOOOMER for outdoor fun!

BTW I have dies for .454 too, so even if you don't reload, I had so much fun just jawbonin' with you, we could make a habit of it : ]

Jay G said...

Weer'd,

If I were going to do that, I'd get the S&W 460 and have the option of the nuclear hunting loads as well.

In case I'm ever attacked by rampaging dumptrucks, that is...

And thanks. We need to get together to fling lead more often. Especially given how close we are!

Anonymous said...

That's a shame about the Peacekeeper replicas. You'd think they'd be okay with it if you told them you'd only carry with the hammer back, so the firing pin wasn't resting on a primer?

Thanks for the warning, though. I'll make sure I don't accidentally cross the border with my old model Blackhawk, since it may suddenly become a dangerous JWOG.

Anonymous said...

Jay, did you join riverside gun club in Hudson MA? I've been a member there for 3 years, and just from your descriptions it sounds like thats where you ended up.

I've killed many a paper and beer (not at the same time) there. Was there all yesterday and had all 3 outdoor ranges to myself.

Jay G said...

Heh.

Nope. Not Hudson. Starts with an "H", though... ;)

dr mac said...

Have a S&W 625 JM version in .45acp. Your welcome to check it out this weekend.

dr mac said...

P.S. Bought it from Les Jones if that whets your appetite.