Friday, October 10, 2008

Friday Gun Pr0n #80

I just have to atone for the plastic-fantastic of last week. Plus, as you've no doubt picked up on by now, I like to match the Gun Pr0n number with something in the armory. When I realized that this week was #80, it started ringing a bell as to what today's picture would be...

Heh. How fitting. After the G30 Glock in .45 ACP, here's its foil:

Colt Gold Cup National Match 1911. Also .45 ACP. This is about as different from the Glock as I could possibly get.

Stainless steel finish. Single action only. Redundant safeties. Nearly 100 years of history. It's the perfect yang to the Glock's yin, the peanut butter to the Glock's chocolate, the Laverne to the Glock's Shirley.

It's also one of my very favorite handguns.

I'm taking the Glock to the range today (day off! Party time! Excellent!) and will be shooting it side-by-side with another polymer gun, my S&W SW99C 9mm. It will be interesting to see how the Glock shoots compared to the Colt - obviously I'm not expecting the same level of accuracy, given the significant design and platform differences - and a Range Report will most likely comprise next week's Gun Pr0n.

That is all.

5 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

Those Chip mags in the forground?

Also looks like that gun's been worked on, what have you had done?

I need to do some gunpr0nz on my babies!

breda said...

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Yummy. So nice.

That's the same one that came out for round 2, right? It was wonderful to shoot even when it completely didn't fit my hand. :)

Jay G said...

weer'd,

Yep. Chip McCormack Shooting Star magazines. The one in the middle and the one in the Colt are Wilson Combats.

I bought the gun in this condition. I know the previous owner did a little work on it - I believe the safety is a Wilson, and the beavertail extended grip as well. Other than that I believe it's stock.

Breda,

Thanks! This is one of the highlights of my armory, along with the S&W Model 17 and 19.

elizabeth,

Yep. You got it - Round 2. Round 1 was the 1991A1 - did that one also not fit? I know the 1911 grip can be less-than ideal for some folks (BLASPHEMY!) :)

Weer'd Beard said...

I've had bad luck with Chip mags...two whole sets started jamming the round-heads into the feed-lips causing feed jams....fixed it with Wilsons, didn't look back. Sounds like your Chippies are working for you, good to hear.

So that's a stock Series 80 trigger?