Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Heartbreaking...

Residents call on police to remove unwanted guns

FITCHBURG— Police collected 25 weapons over the weekend when they launched a firearm disposal program. Police Capt. Mark W. Louney said residents from several places in the city called to get unwanted firearms out of their houses. “They just didn’t want them around anymore,” he said. “I was kind of surprised we recovered so many.”

...

No money was given in exchange for the weapons, most of which seemed to have been tucked aside for years, Capt. Louney said. Several of the callers were widowed spouses of gun owners or their children.


Look at the picture in the article. There's at least one S&W snubbie, a 1911, and what appears to be an old Colt semi-auto (1908?) as well as several side-by-side shotguns and even a Remington Nylon 66.

All of which will be destroyed, literally, for nothing. That widow who handed in her husband's WWII 1911 just gave away hundreds of dollars, if not more. That Nylon 66 is worth $500 or so.

All this going into a smelter so the police can be seen as "doing something" about crime. Sickening. Positively sickening.

I hate this state.

(Hat tip to poster Glockguy17 at the Northeastshooters forum for posting this story here).

That is all.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ignorant preying on the uncaring. And there goes another chunk of American history...

Anonymous said...

Are they actually going to a smelter? Or just pretend going to a smelter?

Weer'd Beard said...

Nylons are running for that much?

Man I could give a BUNCH of those a good home....I could place the others!

Sad....

danno said...

Look at the rifles.. 5th from the right with the long scope. Could be an '03 springfield like the one carried by the marksman/sniper in Saving Private Ryan?

Bruce said...

I'd gladly take one of those Marlin 60's off their hands. Not to mention the pump .22. Probably a highly collectible Winchester on the verge of becoming mulch.

SpeakerTweaker said...

You should advertise on the state level.

"Will remove unwanted firearms. Any condition, anywhere in the state. Free of charge."

Hell, Jay, I'd drive to MA to "dispose" of an M1911A1!



tweaker

Unknown said...

Jay, Isn't it possible that the program is designed to prevent any of these guns from getting into the wrong hands?

"All this going into a smelter so the police can be seen as "doing something" about crime. Sickening. Positively sickening."

Those weapons were obviously not doing anyone any good, but they were waiting for the odd burglar to introduce them into the black market. That won't happen now.

Weer'd Beard said...

They'd do me pleanty of good in my gun safe, Mike, and the ones I didn't fancy for myself I'd sell to others who I'd KNOW would do no harm with them.

The program is nothing but destroying history for the sake of fear of inanimate objects

Jay G said...

Linoge,

Exactly. Note the lever action rifle in the back. I've got a Marlin very similar to that - my grandfather's deer rifle. It pains me to think that a fine lever-action rifle was destroyed for no good reason...

wally,

That's an excellent question. I'd wager that 1911 won't make it to the smelter...

weer'd,

Suprising, isn't it? I did a lot of looking around the web when I posted about my Nylon 66, and was shocked to see what they're fetching these days. Old, rare guns command a premium. Who knew?

:)

danno,

I don't think so - it looks like there's a tubular magazine under the barrel. I'd wager it's a Remington bolt-action .22LR of some flavor.

bruce,

The Nylon 66 jumped out at me, as did that pump-22. What a waste.

Although I think we all know that not all of those guns will be destroyed...

tweaker,

Unfortunately, once the PD takes possession it's practically impossible to get the guns away.

Otherwise I'd already be bidding on the 1911...

mike,

Weer'd posted a good response, but I felt the need to expand it into its own post.

Weer'd Beard said...

Man, I could have SWORN I saw a Nylon 66 at Roaches like a year ago going for like $70.

I've been thinking about that ever since, I really should have grabbed it.

Jay G said...

weer'd,

It's entirely possible. I bought that Remington 572 Fieldmaster at the GOAL Yard Sale for $50. They retail new for over $500.

And SRSLY? If you see another one for $70, either buy it and I'll buy it off you or call me...

Go on Gunbroker or Gunsamerica. I just checked GA - search on "Nylon" under Remington rifles.

The cheapest Nylon 66 is going for around $300...