Monday, October 13, 2008

Range Report: Glock 30 .45 ACP

I need to start making this a more regular feature - a range report following the first outing with a new firearm...

I took my new-to-me Glock 30 to the range last Friday. I put it through some quick paces, rapid-fire drills and quick-mag changes; generally a reliability test that I insist any carry gun go through before I am comfortable carrying it.

Five second review: It's easily as reliable, accurate, and controllable as the SW99 I've been carrying. Only instead of 10+1 rounds of 9mm +P+ JHPs, I'll now have 10+1 rounds of .45 ACP +P JHPs...

Gee, ain't that a kick in the head?

Need proof?



I'm still pulling my shots a little on the low side under rapid fire; definitely something to work on down the road. The target on the left is the SW99 9mm - definitely more comfortable with this firearm; of course, I've put at least a couple thousand rounds through it, so I should be. The Glock 30 target's on the right - this is the very first target I shot with the new Glock. I'd say the results between the two pistols are pretty comparable, all things considered...

How did the Colt shoot? In a word, beautifully:





Not too shabby for a 60+ year old gun. Hard to argue with a grouping of less than 1". And that's free-hand, with fixed sights consisting of a groove carved into the top strap - not the deluxe adjustable target sights of the S&W Model 17...

All in all, a good day's work.

That is all.

3 comments:

Home on the Range said...

Nice work.

You've been added to the blogroll.
Welcome.

Anonymous said...

Surprised your range lets you use human shaped targets, down at Hudson Rod and Gun that is not allowed except for police and the D-Bags of the IDPA.

Jay G said...

Thanks Brigid!

Given some of the targets I've seen you put up I consider that high praise. And thanks for the add!

adam,

I'm not certain if it is or isn't allowed - the rules are kinda "fuzzy"... ;)

There's no shooting at water jugs/tin cans/etc. which is disappointing, but other than that they're pretty decent.