Monday, November 10, 2008

MArooned Meals: CHILI!!!

At the Cub Scout Overnight last weekend, the talk around the campfire turned to chili (and yes, the campfire scene from Blazing Saddles was discussed as well. We're nothing if not well-rounded in the classics...). It got me to thinking (never a good idea), and I decided to whip up a batch of chili this weekend. So, presented for your amusement, benefit, and/or betterment, here's my patented chili recipe. Purists beware, I'm a fan of beans ("More beans, Mr. Taggart?") and corn in my chili...

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef, 93% lean

1 lb. ground turkey

1 lb. ground pork

2 28 ounce cans of diced tomatoes

2 cans light kidney beans

2 cans dark kidney beans

2 cans kernel corn

1 can tomato paste

Chili powder

Onion powder

Cumin (thanks T-bolt!)

Crushed red peppers

2 Fresh cerrano peppers

1 Fresh habaƱero pepper





Preparation:

Brown all meat in skillet, set aside.

Dice fresh peppers finely, set aside.





Add all ingredients except chili powder, onion powder, and diced peppers to 10 quart stock pot. Bring to slow boil over medium-high heat, then let simmer.

Add in chili powder, onion powder, and diced peppers to taste after chili has simmered for at least 15 minutes.





Enjoy!



MMmmmm, mmmm good!

That is all.

16 comments:

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Too 'manhattany' for my taste. Tomatoes? Kidney beans? Pah! Where's the cumin? At least you didn't use bell peppers.

Jay G said...

Cumin's in there, I just forgot to add it to the list... Thanks for pointing that out.

And before you pooh-pooh it, give it a try. It'll put hair on your chest... And take it off your head... *g*

Anonymous said...

What, no GARLIC?? A decent pot of chili calls for at least three or four HEADS of garlic. Yeesh.

TOTWTYTR said...

A Texan friend of mine was in town the other night and we had dinner at the No Name because he and the rest of the gang he was with wanted seafood.

As it happens my friend is a tremendous cook and is especially proud of his chili. I've had it and it's damned good.

We were talking about food and cooking, of which I know little.

He has told me more than once that only Yankee Chili has beans. REAL Chili, that is Texan Chili, doesn't have beans. :)

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I got no hair on my head...

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

and i never put beans in my chili

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Gun Blogger Chili Competition, 2009!!!

Anonymous said...

A "Chili" recipe on MArooned.... and you didn't use the term "tracking corn" even once.

(shakes head sadly)

Missed opportunity.

Anonymous said...

Also, for that much chili, I recommend at least 4-6 habaneros.

Note to brad_in_ma: I'm a garlic-lover without peer, but recommend peppers, more than garlic, for this. Properly prepared chili should *hurt* the inappropriately prepared diner. >:)

Anonymous said...

hey Jay, I use the same basic recipe but never have tried the meats beyond the lean ground beef.

plus I have to make 2 batches, one for us wimps and then Sci-fi's which tends to cause my throat to burn, just stirring it.

b

SpeakerTweaker said...

I gotta try that one (and I'm in Texas, so I like to think that means something:)

Sounds good!



tweaker

Anonymous said...

The only fault I can find is that you didn't throw the cans of beans and corn in the fire for entertainment.

Cowboy Blob said...

If you're not in TX, screw 'em! Beans is OK... Corn? Hmmm... Maynard, git me a rope.

Anonymous said...

Corn and beans in the fire is not entertainment.

Corn and beans in our *host*, now THAT'S entertainment.

Just stand upwind. And out of range.

(And if I have to explain that, you've never been camping with him...)

Jay G said...

Beans are for lighting farts on fire. Everyone knows that.

(brings a whole new meaning to "fire in the hole"...)

Corn is for tracking purposes...

phlegmfatale said...

It does look yummy.