Wednesday, December 3, 2008

We Don't Need Another Hero...

I'm with Robb:
It's a common theme amongst those in the gun community that those of us who carry also add an extra level of protection to others. Sorry, but that's not me. Come hell or high water, when everything goes tits up you're going to find me defending my own flock. If that entails me putting myself in harm's way and engaging the threat and that ends up benefiting your flock, well then, lucky you.
Damn straight.

I don't carry a gun so that people around me are safe. I carry a gun so that I, and the little people in my care, are safe. If there's a threat that directly impacts us, I will do my damnedest to neutralize that threat using my sidearm, pocketknife, bare hands, and/or teeth if necessary. But would I intervene to save a third party? That's a difficult question, and one that comes with a host of "what-ifs" and other theoreticals. What if I get sued? What if it's not what it seems?

What if I get killed playing hero and my kids grow up without a daddy? Is the knowledge that their daddy saved someone else (or worse, tried and failed) enough to comfort them every Christmas? Is it worth spending every Father's Day at the cemetary rather than in the backyard because that's where daddy is? Is it worth losing our family home in a lawsuit because daddy's shot paralyzed the poor misunderstood yoot bashing the store owner's head in with a Louisville slugger?

I'm selfish. I say no.

In the mall shooting scenario, my first and foremost thought is of my family's safety. If I'm alone, my only thought is getting the hell out. If the shooter materializes between me and the door; if there's even the slightest chance he'll harm me or mine; well, then it's on. I've got no formal training (something I hope to rectify in the coming year), but I'm a fair shot at conversational distances and I'm not one to fall apart under stress. I will do my level best to do unto him before he does unto me, or die trying.

The only way harm will come to my family in my presence is, quite literally, over my lifeless corpse.

Now, granted, I've never been shot at (been shot once, but that's a story for another time), so I honestly can't say I won't curl up in the fetal position and cry for mommy. I've been in hairy situations before, and gone immediately into fight mode rather than flight, so I have some reason to believe I could make a stand if provoked.

And I'm Italian. You mess with my family, you are a fucking dead man.

But if it ain't family, I just want to get the hell outta Dodge. Maybe that makes me a coward; maybe it makes me less of a man, but to be perfectly blunt, I don't give a hairy rat's ass. As long as my family's safe, the rest of the world can go to hell in a handbasket. That's not to say that I'd pass up a good shot, mind you. I just won't go looking for it...

That is all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheepdog? Maybe.

If the flag flies, and I kill a goblin in the course of defending me and mine, then that's a GOOD THING. I'm just not going to go out of my way to go hunting goblins. Out of my scope of practice, that is.

I look at it this way: CCW folks that CARRY are Q-Ships. They make being a predator hazardous, and in so doing, make that a rarer career choice.

If every sheep had the means and the beans to sumarily kill any wolf that showed up, wolves would take up hunting mice. Col. Whatzizbucket's sheepdog analogy assumes that the mental capacity to kill a wolf is an abberation. I look at it as a feature, not a bug.

Bruce said...

Amen.

Lissa said...

With all due respect -- You, Jay G, are a tease.

I've never been shot at (been shot once, but that's a story for another time)

You're a mean one, Mr. G. I want that story YESTERDAY

Jay G said...

jimbob,

Exactly. I'm not going to cower in the corner (I hope), waiting for my turn to die, rather I'll exert every effort to "make the other bastard die for his country" as it were...

But if I can get out? I'm gone. Feet don't fail me now.

Besides, there's a small but angry and bitter part of me that says some sheep aren't worth putting myself at risk over...

Bruce,

Thanks. I know you'd posted a "what if" scenario a while back akin to the mall shooting archetype. I believe I responded pretty much identically...

Lissa,

Tell you what. I'll give you the whole story at the Blogger gathering at the end of the month...

;)

Anonymous said...

Jay,
You referring to the infamous bug bite?

Anonymous said...

I'm just curious as to how you can be shot without being shot AT. Even if you ND'd into your foot, you were being shot at (by your own damn fool self, in that particular case...).

Could be I'm being a semantic nitpick, though...:D

Unknown said...

"I don't carry a gun so that people around me are safe. I carry a gun so that I, and the little people in my care, are safe. "

True...

But 10-to-1 if you saw another dad get beat down and criminal scum bag begin to ravage the man's 13 yr old daughter. You'd be prepping to put lead into the !@#$%.

Why?

Because a part of us, back in the depths of our minds, hopes that if it were our flock in such peril. A shepherd of another flock would likewise act.

That said, while a shepherd might chase off a wolf from a neighbor's sheep as well. They're sure as heck not going to leap into the fray with an entire pack of wolves. There are limits.

But then, that's where the shepherds, deciding they are tired of losing sheep to the wolves band together and hunt down and slay the predators - we call this the beginning of "government".

***

There is also the famous saying "with great firepower comes great responsibility".

(Of course, like you, I am of the opinion that most of that great responsibility is focused on my family. That said, a part is due to the common good, IMHO.

***

"And I'm Italian. You mess with my family, you are a fucking dead man."

This is something I understand. Being 3/4 Italian and 1/4 Bohemian/Russian/Cossack. Which essentially means due to my Italian blood, if you mess with my family you'll probably find yourself dead. But thanks to my Cossack blood you'll probably swallow your own balls first, before dying. *lol*


***

"(been shot once, but that's a story for another time)"

Sometime, if you could share...I am less interested in the situation and not looking for you to expound on personal matters or events. But more so, curious regarding the impact of being hit with a bullet. What the immediate psychological and physiological effects were.

***

"Maybe that makes me a coward; maybe it makes me less of a man"

No, one of the duties of being a father and a husband is to preserve one's self for the well being of one's family. Nothing cowardly about that...

Jay G said...

Think ricochet. Of part of a 7.62X39mm jacket.

(Yes, the infamous "bug bite" of a few years back, Brad).

Not enough to require hospitalization, but enough to make me realize that getting shot was not on my list of things to repeat...

JD said...

I am with you all the way. My first and overriding duty is to wife and family. If I get shot doing something stupid like going looking for a mall shooter then I have failed my duty to protect and provide for my family. . . .