Friday, February 27, 2009

Friday Gun Pr0n #100

I wanted to do something special for the one hundredth Friday Gun Pr0n. I had originally intended to do some sort of group shot, either all handguns, or all Smith & Wessons, or all revolvers, or something, when inspiration struck...


My Favorites

Pump action shotguns and centerfire rifles,
Rimfire levers and shiny Colt autos.
Magnum revolvers that pack quite a sting,
These are a few of my favorite things

(with apologies to The Sound of Music...)



Favorite Longarms

Shotgun: Mossberg 590. Since I'm neither a hunter nor a trap/skeet shooter (yet), my shotgun needs are simple: a large capacity pump-action with a short(ish) barrel. The fact that it will take a bayonet just puts the icing on the cake.

Centerfire rifle: Bushmaster XM15-E2S. In the year of the looming AWB and ever-rising prices on semi-automatic magazine-fed rifles, getting this for a decent price (and an excellent deal on 30-round magazines!) vaults it to the top of the list. Once I get my Garand, this choice will be much harder...

Rimfire rifle: Marlin model 39-A. There had to be at least one lever-action rifle on this list. The Marlin is just plain fun wrapped up in wood and blued steel, a 19-round-at-a-time plinker that can be shot all day long using the cheapest bulk ammo available. What's not to love?



Favorite Handguns

Centerfire revolver: Ruger Security Six. This is the first firearm I ever purchased, approximately 35 minutes after getting my first MA permit (that's how long it took to get to the gun store). The tank-like Ruger construction means it's my go-to gun for first time shooters, as the longer barrel and extra heft tame even hot .357 Magnum rounds.

Centerfire semi-automatic: Colt Gold Cup National Match 1911. It had to be a 1911, of course. The Gold Cup is the natural choice, with accuracy that I can't match and fit and finish that is simply stunning. I enjoy shooting this gun more than just about any other, and everyone I've let shoot it has been quite impressed with its accuracy and reliability. And it's shiny...

Rimfire handgun: Smith & Wesson Model 17. Since I only have one (functioning) rimfire semi-automatic, it wasn't much of a contest, so I combined them into just rimfire pistol. The S&W gets the nod over the Colt, the H&R, and the NAA mini-.22LR for many reasons, but the first being that it is the first gun I give to a new shooter to start their journey. That's confidence right there...

CCW gun: Smith & Wesson Model 360PD. What's really great about the Snubbie from Hell™ is that it's such a versatile carry piece. It's chambered in the very manly .357 Magnum caliber, so it's got stopping power in spades; it's very light, so it gets carried a lot; and it's a Smith & Wesson revolver - as a wise man once opined, it's like a fork: You pick it up, it works.




So there's Friday Gun Pr0n #100 - all of my favorites.

That is all.

8 comments:

aughtSix said...

I can't believe I'm saying this... but I think you got the movie wrong in your apology. I blame my wife. :) Now I'll go do something manly to atone for my comment.

Jay G said...

Well, not according to the lyrics site where I found the original lyrics.

aughtSix said...

Woohoo!! I'm very relieved to be wrong. I was having trouble coming up with something manly to do that wouldn't get me in trouble at work. The penance for being wrong on the internet is much milder. :)

firefighter4884 said...

Looks like a good collection J...

bunches of reasons not to break into your house in the middle of the night right?

--Jim

Jay G said...

Heh. Funny part is, that's barely the tip 'o' the iceberg...

What's not shown is the "under the bed" gun - the full-size S&W SW99 from last week. It's in a pistol safe under the bed with 10+1 in the gun and two spare 10 round magazines in a carrier next to it.

I've practiced getting it out of the safe many times. Suffice to say, I'd be several seconds ahead of someone who came crashing through the front door and charged up the stairs.

Long enough to gain a good sight picture, that's for sure...

Anonymous said...

My very first gun, 42 years ago, was a Marlin 39A "Mountie" carbine. Still have it. Still love it!

skipelec said...

9 on her side, Kimber on mine.
.38 spl in her desk drawer, 686 in mine.
870 behind the office door, 8mm in the truck, Glock in the Link'.
Both carry, both in condition yellow.
We are not weirdo's, just old, ready, and not sheep.

Jay G said...

Seth,

I absolutely love my 39. It's just so much fun it really ought to be against the law... :)

Although I do have to admit, Bruce's wife's Henry has a slicker action. Then again, I don't think the Marlin's broken in yet...

skipele,

Nothing weird about that setup at all - just smart. Sounds a lot like what I'd have if Mrs. G. wasn't anti-gun... :(