Sunday, March 15, 2009

Familiar...

Ever run into someone you just know you know, but can't figure out where from? Happened to me last week at the gun show - I saw a gentleman there that I knew I'd seen before. I thought it might be one of my Scout dads, except that he was there with his daughter. Even made small talk, commenting that he was braver than I bringing a child to a gun show in MA. It looked to me like he was doing the same thing - probably thinking "I know I've seen this shaved-head biker dude before"...

Well, this morning I figured out where I knew him - we're members of the same church!

Walking out of church after services today I ran into him again, and we did that "hey, that's how I know you" look. Got to chatting, sure enough, we're members at the same gun club, too; his daughter is the same age as my son, and he's been thinking of taking her for her first time shooting this year (as have I).

As Stephen Wright opined, it's a small world - but I wouldn't want to paint it...

That is all.

6 comments:

Home on the Range said...

It is, VERY small world. I once sat across the interview table (I, being the one hiring) from the jock that stood me up for the high school prom (apparently the class slut agreed to go out with him at the last minute, sure thing vs. nice girl and I lost, but he never called to break the date, he just never showed, leaving me sitting by the door in my dress, until tears won out).

He was interviewing for a very high level position in my department, one that I knew he probably really wanted. I'd married, so I'm sure he never recognized the name in the organizational profile.

I just stared at him for the longest time, and then said "do you have any idea what that damn dress cost?"

He quietly got up and left.

Jay G said...

Heh. There's no revenge like living well, eh?

Although I have to question the story, Brigid. I find it hard to believe someone would stand you up... :)

Home on the Range said...

Jay - band nerd. What can I say.

Jay G said...

Chess team. At an all-male Catholic prep school.

'Nuff said? *g*

the pistolero said...

Yikes, Brigid! I was a band nerd too, but my luck was never THAT bad!

Old NFO said...

Yep, it IS a small world... trust me on that.