Saturday, March 7, 2009

Get the Lead Out...

Holy crap. I just cleaned out my ammo locker. I have a LOT of ammo. This is a good thing.

Let me back up a step. I'd been meaning to clear out the locker to make more efficient use of space in the locker. It's basically an old wooden toybox with a locking hasp and a padlock on it, and I had it turned on its side so that basically the lid swung out like a door. The problem is, I was too lazy to build shelves in it, so I just piled all the ammo on top of itself.

Well, I reached the point where everything fell over, and I just kinda opened the door, pushed everything to the sides, and continued cramming everything in. Today, after my successful trip to the gun show, I took a good long look at the locker and realized it was time for cleaning. I cleaned all the ammo out of it and arranged it on the floor for cataloging. I also cleared out the overflow locker in the attic so that all centerfire rifle and pistol ammo is downstairs, and only shotgun ammo and .22LR are in the unheated/un-air conditioned attic.

Wow. I found ammo I had long-forgotten about. Several hundred rounds of good, quality hollowpoints for four different calibers were found in the bottom of the overflow locker. Several hundred rounds of 7.62X39mm were also found. I have about a hundred rounds of 7.62X54mmR on stripper clips (before I realized they don't work without a 2X4).

The one place I'm really lacking is shotgun ammo. Only got about 60 slugs and about the same for 00 buckshot - this needs to pick up, as the 12 gauge is my primary home defense gun (although, to be fair, the Bushmaster has more or less assumed that role, as loading in a magazine to an AR-15 is much faster than loading 8 rounds of 00 buckshot). Since I'm in MA, remember, all ammo must remain under lock and key...

Bring on the Zombie Apocalypse. Casa del G. is ready for the onslaught...

That is all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got to organize my ammo... Each time I go to Walmart I try to snag a box of .22 or some kind of pistol ammo, and it's gotten ... um ... extensive.

Pretty well covered on 9mm, 5.56, and 12ga. Fair bit of .270. I load .45s and .38/.357s, but damn, I need to get a progressive press.

A lot is in labeled .50 cans and a lot more in labeled .30 cans, but it's gotten to the point that cans are buried and I have to do digging to get to what I need.

I've also done the "jam it in somewhere and look for it later". Not so effective.

Not a bad price on those .380s from the show; I think I paid $32/100 at Walmart last week. It'll work for now, but I have to find some defensive ammo.

Mike W. said...

I had all my ammo stored in bins and in the original factory boxes.

I found that it was hard to find the ammo I wanted, and the weight was breaking the plastic bins.

For now I'm just keeping all my ammo in cardboard boxes (easy since I buy in bulk online anyway) and I sort and label each box by caliber.

I might need to buy an ammo locker if I ever run out of room in the closet. That'd be a good problem to have i think.

Anonymous said...

The only time you have too much ammo is when your house is on fire.

Old NFO said...

Gotta agree with Stretch! I'm down to 15k rounds, and I also separate by caliber and training/match categories.

dr mac said...

I don't know if I have enough for the Zombie Apocalypse but I should be able to handle the first several hundred marching down the driveway. There is enough 7-8 shot to keep the family in duck and goose dinners for the next 5 years.

Meanwhile I'm off to follow in the footsteps of the Great Ogg.

dr mac said...

I don't know if I have enough for the Zombie Apocalypse but I should be able to handle the first several hundred marching down the driveway. There is enough 7-8 shot to keep the family in duck and goose dinners for the next 5 years.

Meanwhile I'm off to follow in the footsteps of the Great Ogg.

agg79 said...

Would love to see a shot of your stash/horde in one of your gun PrOn spots. I am woefully lacking on .380 but well heeled on most of the rest. Waiting for the next gun show.

I concur with Stretch.

James said...

Hey Bud, I am in Orlando and trying to track down some 7.62X54mmR rounds.

If you have any for sale shoot me an email, james.hart9ATgmail.com