Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Gunnie Bleg

My good friend (and fellow Bloggershoot attendee) JD has a serious problem. He's got money burning a hole in his pocket and a desire to upgrade his carry gun. He asks,
Jay

Have you had any experience with the Smith and Wesson M&P pistol?

I am looking for a new carry gun and am debating a 1911 say a Para Ordnance or S&W in the $700 range but it looks like the M&P does well in sales at Four Seasons and I don't know anyone that has one. . .

I want something with a bit more guts than the .380 I got now ya know. . . .

Anyways, if you have any thought on this I would love to hear them. . . and blog fodder them if you want = )

thanks

JD



Well, it so happens I have a little experience with the M&P series, so I responded immediately:
Hey JD (my AR-savior!)*,

Hmmm. You've got $700 and an itch for a new carry gun. Oh, what a terrible, terrible fate... Heh.

Let's see... The M&P. I had bad luck with the M&P compact .40 S&W when I shot it at the Smith & Wesson range. The placement of the magazine release put it in such a way that my normal grip would cause it to engage about, oh, once or twice a magazine. Leading to humorous range exchanges like this:

[M&P] BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
{CLUNK}
[me] SHIT DAMMIT!

Since I was thinking of the compact .40 as a carry gun, and couldn't rely on it as such, I more or less put the M&P series out of my mind.

I've heard that S&W has addressed this issue (I'd heard from several other people who had the same experience) since then. I would strongly recommend you find someone with a comparable model of M&P and try it out, first, though. The M&P series is one of the greatest values for the MA gunnie - under $500 new OTD, and right now I think S&W is running a "two free magazine" promo again. Can't argue with that at all.

If you can find one for a reasonable price, look at the subcompact Glocks - 26 (9mm) or 27 (.40 S&W). What's great about the Glock WRT MA law is that there are plenty of pre-ban high-capacity magazines to be had. M&P? Not so much.

You can also find the S&W scandium-framed Commander sized 1911s for around $700 (gently) used if you want to honor the St. JMB (PBUH). I'm waiting to see how much they want for the subcompact 1911 before I get a new 1911 - if it's MA compliant, which I would imagine it would be, and under $900 or so new, I will be SORELY tempted to pick one up.

Another thought would be a S&W snubbie - either the 442/642 for pocket carry or a 637 for IWB. Those are selling for around $400 or so new, and that extra $300 will buy quite a bit of practice ammo. I dunno if you got a chance to shoot The Snubbie From Hell™, but the Airweight .38 specials are only a couple ounces heavier and shoot .38 Spl +P ammo - almost as good as .357 Magnum. Let me know if you'd like to try it out (or my shrouded hammer model 38).

I'm going to post this and see if anyone else has any other suggestions - I'm sure there's a couple dozen other good suggestions that I'm just not thinking of right now...





So, what say you? Bear in mind that JD is, like me, trapped behind the Red curtain here in the Volksrepublik of MA, and therefore beholden to the Approved Firearms Roster {spit}. That means outrageous prices for Glocks and Kahrs, little-to-no chance of guns like the CZ75 or the Springfield XD, etc. We're pretty much limited to S&W, Ruger, ParaOrdnance, and SigSauer.

(Hey!!! JD - Sig 239 in .40 S&W. I've seen them used for around $550-$600, and you can get the screamin' .357 Sig barrel for it too!)

Help a fellow MAhole blogger out with this most important of decisions, won't you?

That is all.

*JD was very helpful when my Bushmaster developed a severe case of indigestion over the .223 reloads...

15 comments:

RW said...

Jay,
Off topic, but I thought you might be interested.

Ambulance Driver said...

Hi Standard Crusader 1911. Officer length .45. No frills, but it has a bobbed hammer and larger beavertail, but mine has a very crisp trigger, shoots nice, tight groups, and has thus far digested every single thing I've fed it - semi-wadcutters, round nose, hollow points, steel and brass cases in the same mag, etc. Nary a hiccup for over 1000 rounds thus far.

And it was only $450 out of the box.

I shoot it just as well as I shot your Gold Cup, which is to say...

...better than you do.

Heh.

Jay G said...

AD,

While I'm certain that giving me a dig never entered into your head (*cough*), unfortunately Hi-Standard's not on the list for approved guns, so finding one would be rather difficult.

Unfortunately, for 1911s in MA, S&W is really the only way to go for a new gun. Now, S&W makes a helluva 1911 (if the heresy of an external extractor can be forgiven), but I would looooove to get my hands on a Springfield Armory USGI...

(And I want a rematch, dammit!!!)

:)

Anonymous said...

Jay,
I don't mean to co-op your post, but this next bit of info is worth passing along to you & your readers, especially those in MA.

You make mention of the {spit} Mass Approved Firearms Roster. {puke} Seems that Washington DC has its own roster. Actually Kalifornistan has its own and DC has borrowed it. Alan Gura -- the attorney who successfully argued the Heller case -- has filed suit as counsel for The Second Amendment Foundation. The suit questions the constitutionality of using a roster / list of "approved" arms. One of the tenents of Heller was that banning handguns banned a 'common class' of arms. Attorney Gura is using this argument to challenge DC's use of the CA roster. I've already sent word to Jim Wallace of GOAL informing him of this case. Sadly, I've not heard back.

For those interested, here's a link to SAF's press release about the case:
http://saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=287

JD said...

AD, that is a good selling point as Jay's Gold Cup shoots damn nice. . .

JD said...

I am still leaning towards a 1911 I will have to see what the shop has available and how they feel in my hand. . .

zeeke42 said...

You're welcome to shoot my M&P compact 9 if you like. It still has the heavy MA trigger, but it's not as bad as some. I might be sending it off to Greg Derr for a trigger job this weekend, so depending on timing, you could try it before and after.

Weer'd Beard said...

I shot an M&P 9C not too long ago, and rather liked it. The guy said it had the MA trigger, and honestly it felt pretty good to me. (Granted I personally could give two shits about pull weight so long as that uber-heavy trigger was smooth and devoid of stacking....still this one felt like a smooth 6-7#s)

Still I can't rave MORE about my S&W1911Sc Commander (now known as the S&W1911PD) It's light, I put some McCormick slim-carry grips on it so it's s00per thin.

I'll let you be the judge of how well it conceals (if you get my drift), and it delivers .45 ACP!

Still you couldn't go too wrong with either of those I don't think.

zeeke42 said...

I agree with Weerd completely. That's why I own both of them :)

Jay G said...

Hmmm.

I'm starting to think we should get together for a "carry gun shoot".

You know, to help our friend JD decide and all.

If we can do it with less than 7 people, we can have it at the pistol range of my club...

*g*

Anonymous said...

I can offer up my sig 239 for some testin' and evaluatin'. It's chambered in .357 but I can load some powder puff ammo to simulate the recoil of a 40.

The only thing I didn't like about the sig is the DA/SA trigger. Just didn't work for me. It's been a safe queen for many years after I admitted that I am really happy with a striker fired action - and I ditched the 239 for a Kahr, then retired the Kahr in favor of Glock.

GunGeek said...

If someone's going to get a Glock 26, they might as well get a 27 instead. They can then spring another buck-fifty for a 9mm aftermarket barrel and a couple of G26 magazines for it.

Not only can you do a lot of practice shooting using considerably cheaper 9mm ammo, but you've got a whole 'nuther ammo option for when the SHTF.

That's what I've got and I love it.

Heath J said...

Hey JD, did ya get a chance to run my 638 on monday? It sat next to The Snubby From Hell all morning...

I'm a big fan of a single action first shot, if it's possible, but I don't like the exposed hammer. Catches on stuff.

The 638 covers both those issues.

And MA steel plates are scared to death of it!

JD said...

I have to say I was deficient on Monday and did not do much with the pistols. . . I should have.

The more I read the more I know I am going to have to go to a gun shop or two and handle a bunch of them to see what feels good. I want a .45 but I may go for a Glock in .40 if it fits right. . .

So many guns, so little time and money to mess with them. . .

Jay G said...

Wally,

I'd like to try out the Sig 239. I've thought about getting one in .40 S&W with the extra .357 Sig barrel.

GunGeek,

That's an excellent point. Get the .40S&W and you can opt for the 9mm later. It's a shame they couldn't do that with the .45 ACP as well - I'd love to have a 9mm barrel for my G30...

Heath,

I actually didn't try out the 638 - I was too busy bashing my hand with a 4-pound sledge, err, shooting the Snubbie from Hell™. With I had, though, so you could see what FAIL looks like with your gun... ;)

JD,

That's half the fun, going around and looking at new guns...

I'm in the cool position right now of having cash and nothing particular in mind.

There will be another post tomorrow about some choices I'm considering...