Sunday, March 1, 2009

Saturday, Saturday Night's All Right

Managed to sneak out of Casa del G. last night to get to the range for some much-needed recoil therapy. Needed to get some trigger time on the J-frame, as it had been a while since I'd run some lead through it, and I wanted to sight in the red dot sight on the 422. As expected, the range was empty (my gun club consists mainly of hunters who have little interest in pistol shooting. Their loss, my gain), although someone had thoughtfully left every single light and fan on. Grrrr.

But it was a good night shooting...

I need to practice more with the snubbie; while all shots were COM I wasn't consistently putting them where I wanted them to go. This is totally my fault; I have been neglecting my carry revolver skills in favor of the semi-auto. I chalk this up to the reliability of the revolver; since it's less likely to jam or otherwise malfunction (notice I do not say that it can't or won't!), I tend to practice more with the semi-autos.

Sighting in the red dot on the 422 was quite enjoyable. The 422 is a little finicky on loading/ejecting, which I will need to address - it's not quite ejecting spent brass on every nth shot (there's no real rhyme or reason to when it jams, as sometimes it was every other shot; sometimes it was once every other magazine). Accuracy, however, was quite good:


S&W Model 422 & target

That's 30 shots at 30 feet. Yeah, I'll take that...

The sight was a bit of a challenge to dial in, as there are no markings whatsoever as to which is elevation and which is windage. A little bit of trial-and-error (story of my life) got the job done. Made an interesting discovery, too - the 422 will feed Federal bulk .22LR just as well as the mid-range PMC Sidewinders I'd been feeding it.

All in all, an excellent way to spend a Saturday night...

That is all.

5 comments:

Home on the Range said...

Other than the Eotech on my Wilson Combat I've not shot any red dot anything, doing it the old fashioned way.

THAT is cool. And impressive.

SpeakerTweaker said...

I had an opportunity to shoot a red-dot-topped AR at the SA blogmeet, but it was freshly mounted and hadn't been dialed in. I did peer through it, though, and thought it was pretty slick.

Nice shootin on the 422.



tweaker

Borepatch said...

The Mrs. REALLY liked the red dot scope on the AR she shot.

Someday ...

Old NFO said...

Nice looking pistola...

Jay G said...

Brigid,

The funny thing is that the 422 shoots just as well with iron sights... It's one of the unsung heroes in the S&W lineup, phased out in favor of the 22-A series.

The really nice thing is that the magazines are interchangeable with the Model 41, which is on my long list of "Guns Jay will own someday"...

Tweaker,

My eyesight's such that a non-magnified sight just doesn't cut it for the AR. One of the big selling points of the AR family is the accuracy at long range, and believe you me, after about 25 yards my eyes can't cut it...

Ted,

The 5.56 round does an absolute number on a milk jug filled with water, BTW...

Old NFO,

Thanks! The real funny thing is that for a while, this was the only "high-capacity" pistol I owned - it came with a genuine pre-ban 12 round magazine... ;)