Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Is It Christmas?

'Cuz I may be getting my present early:

Times co. threatens to shut down Globe

The New York Times Co. has threatened to shut the Boston Globe unless the newspaper's unions swiftly agree to $20 million in concessions, union leaders said.

Executives from the Times Co. and Globe made the demands Thursday morning in an approximately 90- minute meeting with leaders of the newspaper's 13 unions, union officials said. The possible concessions include pay cuts, the end of pension contributions by the company and the elimination of lifetime job guarantees now enjoyed by some veteran employees, said Daniel Totten, president of the Boston Newspaper Guild, the Globe's biggest union, which represents more than 700 editorial, advertising and business office employees.

The Globe's viability is going to depend on a union making concessions? Start digging her grave now, boys. These are the same goons that would rather General Motors augur into the ground than give up a single bennie...

The Globe going out of business... Excuse me while I drink up the delicious schadenfreude...

That is all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if they'll send you a New England edition of the NYT, and if you will like that better.

TOTWTYTR said...

http://tinyurl.com/cycxqm

GM Said to Speed Bankruptcy Plans as Board Crafts Savings Goals

Which is not what Obama, Pelosi, Reid, or the UAW want. However it's the only way that GM will survive, at least as a US auto maker.

If GM can do this and survive, then Chrysler and probably Ford will follow.

By digging in the UAW stands to lose big.

Jay G said...

Anon,

The only reason I would subscribe to The Globe would be for the sheer unadulterated joy of canceling my subscription...

I prefer the tried-and-true method of stealing it off my neighbor's driveway, actually... ;)

(I'm only partially kidding. We live next door to my parents, who do get The Globe, and when they go on vacation I feed their cats and take the paper...)

I suspect I wouldn't like anything the NYT has to dish up, either...

TOTWTYTR,

And GM could have done that a couple months and 14 Billion less taxpayer dollars ago... The UAW got pretty much everything they're gonna get out of GM (who, BTW, has been circling the bowl since pretty much the Vega...)