Wednesday, April 22, 2009

No Coincidence...

I hope we're all planning fun ways to celebrate Lenin's birthday today...

They've been running ads on Nickelodeon and Disney pimping Earth Day. How do I know this? Well, BabyGirl G. - who watches maybe a half-hour of television a day - has been telling us, for the past three days, that we need to shut all our lights off "for one minute!" today. Nothing like a little propaganda in between live-action commercials for plastic toys made in Chinese sweatshops, eh?

On the plus side, I'm going to get them to help me pick up sticks in the yard under the pretense of "helping Mother Earth". Turnabout is fair play, beeyotches!

That is all.

5 comments:

Bitmap said...

Sorry about your kid. Mine don't watch that stuff. They think "Earth Day" is a scam used by some unscrupulous people to get money from the ignorant. I wonder where they got that idea?

Bitmap said...

Forgot to add that I hadn't realized this was Lenin's birthday. To calibrate with my kids I think we'll use action figures and create a diorama of mass executions. I make sure my little one's are aware that communists are the greatest mass murderers in the world.

Mike W. said...

Communism, the cursed fantasy that just won't die.

And Jay, I notice Disney didn't tell her to turn of the TV to save power.

Jay G said...

Bitmap,

Oh, don't worry about that. They've been getting counter-programming in full from Daddy...

And heh...

Mike,

Oh yeah. Nothing about "turn off the idiot box" to save the planet...

Or even "stop the rampant consumerism".

Just turn off the lights for a minute...

Of course, if it means I can stop being the electricity Nazi, all the better...

Sabra said...

They had several booths at school today in honor of Earth Day. God love them, they were purifying the air with lots & lots of smoke from the barbeque pits. Which might explain why the San Antonio Vegetarian Society was sitting off on its own, literally on the other side of the student union from all the other booths.

Eldest said they planted flowers at school today, and she now knows lots about recycling. We were discussing potential future uses for tires in the afternoon.