Friday, May 29, 2009

Friday Gun Pr0n #113

I'm thinking of starting a new series for Friday Gun Pr0n: Rimfire Rifles. In that vein, here's my favorite:

Winchester Model 1906


Yes, we all know that the Winchester Model 1906 was designed by none other than John Moses Browning hisself. It's a pump-action .22S/R/LR gun most commonly referred to as a "gallery gun" for its propensity for showing up in the shooting galleries of traveling carnivals. This particular gun was manufactured in 1918, and at one point in time belonged to one "Mildred Perkins", who saw fit to engrave her name on the side of the receiver.

This was my grandfather's rabbit gun - countless hundreds if not thousands of conies found their way into a stew pot because of this rifle. Despite the pitted barrel and canted front sight, it still shoots magnificently - I can chew the center of a 50 foot rimfire target at 25 yards with it all day long. It needs a new buttplate and perhaps a little elbow grease, but I think Grampy would appreciate that it gets brought to the range every now and again to tear into cans, break clays, and astonish the super-tacticool tommies with its accuracy.

Give me this gun, a brick of .22LR, and a wooded glen, and I'll eat like a king. Or a hobbit, even...

That is all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful rifles, I used one a great deal in the late sixties. Kept my eyes open for one ever since then, finally I picked up a Rossi knock off last year, I really like it.

Tam said...

I wants me one of those so very, very badly!

Jay G said...

AWM,

I got really, really lucky last September and picked up a Remington model 572 Fieldmaster for stupidly cheap money for my modern (ha!) pump-action .22LR needs.

One of these days I need to bring both to the range for a shoot-off...

Tam,

Well, you can't have this one, but you're more than welcome to try it out if you ever find yourself up this way (like, say, you visit Marko...) ;)

Anonymous said...

I have my Dads, made in 1911. I know Dad had it before me and I came along in 1949. It was the first gun I and my brothers shot, the first gun my kids shot, and will be the first for my grandkids. I take a newby to the range, guess what gun comes out first? Oh, it looks twice as old as it is, the chamber is pitted from thousands of dry fires, butt plate half gone, and a self respecting termite wouldn't touch the wood, but it shoots just fine. Just on sentiment alone, it would be the last gun I would ever get rid of.

MedicMatthew said...

Hmm....if Tam were to visit Marko..... would be a great reason to have another bloggershoot.....

Of course, that would bring on COMPLETE fan-boy geekout among many of us.

Jason said...

Great rifle Jay! Thanks for sharing!

Borepatch said...

You know, if Tam were to visit Marko, and there happened to be a blogshoot, I could probably scare up another Teletubbie. If you could scare up a bayonet, we'd be all set ....

NotClauswitz said...

I have its predecessor, the '98 in .22WRF - and got a case of CCI .22 WRF because it's rare. It's fun!

phlegmfatale said...

That's a very handsome Winchester. *envy mode*