Tuesday, May 19, 2009

NRA Convention/2A Blog Bash Wrap-Up

The 2009 NRA Convention and Second Amendment Blog Bash wrapped up yesterday. Everyone who attended undoubtedly has dozens if not hundreds of stories to tell; tales of meeting new people; close encounters with celebrities both in the gunnieverse and online; pictures of new and exciting hardware; and a thousand other really cool things that all make me green with envy that I wasn't able to attend...

First off, some links:


Everyone, I am supremely jealous. I *WILL* be in Charlotte next year. With any kind of luck, I'll be renting a van and dragging a bunch of East Coast bloggers with me. But in any case, MArooned will be on the list next year. Count on it.



I'd be lying if I said I was happy about missing the convention and 2A Blog Bash, that's for certain. What I haven't mentioned, though, is that I'd have been equally sad had I made it to the convention, for I would have missed the following events:

  • Cub Scout Electronics Recycling Fundraiser - not only would I have missed it, but since I was 50% of the muscle for most of the day, it most likely would not have happened.
  • Birthday party for one of my son's friends - this was the little girl that hosted TheBoy's first sleepover; her dad and I go way back, and he actually called me asking me to bring extra fishing poles for the fishing party. Once I got there, I got pressed into service baiting hooks and casting lines.
  • My goddaughter's First Communion - mind you, her godmother missed it because of a vacation, so she wouldn't have had either godparent present had I been in Phoenix.



I'm sad I missed the festivities, but I'm glad I was home for all the other good stuff in my life. I'll wait until next year, when I can plan accordingly...

That is all.

8 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

I'm gonna do my damndest to get down to NC with you.

My Evenvy is just as green as yours, let's do somthing to fix that!

RW said...

I'll try to setup some vacation just so I can mozy over to Charlotte and maybe have dinner with you or something, Jay. Crazy thing, I'm in northwest Georgia, but a drive across north Georiga, across the state of South Carolina & into Charlotte NC is about half the distance for me that a drive near the GA coastline (which you'll be taking to Disney) would be. Georgia is freaking huge, by the way, for those who didn't know.

Jay G said...

Weer'd,

I'm not kidding. I will take the responsibility of renting the van (and even driving) if we have enough interest. If we get 6 or less people interested, we could rent a conversion van; more and we could look into one of those 15 passenger monstrosities.

I will post updates throughout the year to gauge interest.

RW,

I'd freakin' LOVE that, brother. I'm sure we could procure a slice of sofa for ya to stay over if you'd like - because I owe you at least a couple of beers and all... ;)

Bitter said...

You'll be more jealous if bloggers who won door prizes show off their goodies. ;)

So far, Eseell is the only one to say anything about it. (I don't blame Handgun Podcast, all he gets is a gift certificate until the Crimson Trace grip of his choice is mailed to him.) :)

If anyone here is ACTUALLY thinking of coming and not just wishing they could come knowing they won't, then watch the Blog Bash page for sign ups for the "I'm Interested" list in June. Seriously, if you're not on my list, you miss out on a lot of planning deals - hotel room deals, the possibility of schedule changes, etc. Not everything becomes a blog post on that site. And most importantly, READ the emails. I heard so many participants who didn't pay attention and were giving out wrong information that I had to correct when others were confused. If you sign up and read them, then you'll be in the loop for any and all good news.

Jay G said...

Bitter,

I'm serious as a heart attack - I'm going next year.

Sign-up is next month? Let me know, I'll put the word out.

And sign my own self up...

Thanks for the info!

Eseell said...

Right now I'm planning on being there next year in Charlotte, I would really love to meet all the east coast bloggers.

Unknown said...

Depending on whether we sell our truck or not. I have an 8 passenger Dodge Durango and a 6'x10' trailer to carry all the luggage.

Jay G said...

We'll see how many people wind up coming, The_Saj.

I think that under 7 people we can get by with only one vehicle. Even if we rent a conversion van at $200 a day (PFA), that's not too bad to drive down. The hard part is splitting the gas and tolls, but then you just keep good records...