Wednesday, May 27, 2009

TinEee!

Well, I finally got off the pot. I'd been trying to decide if the G. household should get a new laptop or a netbook for a second computer, as our ancient desktop had finally given up the ghost. We bought a Toshiba laptop last fall and have been enjoying wireless computing in the house, and we're getting to the point where we're definitively a two-computer family...

Since it seems like all the cool kids have Eee netbooks, it seemed like the way to go. Throw in a sale price that was only $50 more than the refurb offered on Woot, and it completed the no-brainer. Say hello to my leetle friend:

Eee Model 353

No, I didn't buy a freakishly oversized mouse to go with it; it really *is* that tiny! I can literally cover the entire computer with two hands. Typing on the miniscule keyboard is an exercise in hunt-and-peck typing, as the keys need a bit of contact to actuate. The screen is a whopping 8.9", which makes me glad I'm myopic rather than hyperopic...

While the size is its biggest drawback, it's also one of its biggest strengths. This computer is eminently portable - weighing in under 3 pounds and taking up less space than a Bible, it's very easy to bring along. The 160 Gig hard drive means it can double as a back-up drive to the main computer, shadowing our digital pictures and music; and it's inexpensive enough that it can come with us anywhere, even on vacation.

It's also faster online than the Vista-handicapped Toshiba; has longer battery life as well and receives the wireless signal stronger than the laptop. When I get a moment I want to test the range of the wireless outside - I'd like nothing better than to use the Eee to live-blog the kids playing in the backyard!

I give the Eee model 353 netbook an enthusiastic MArooned endorsement!

That is all.

(And in case you were wondering, yes, I did type this entire post on the Eee. Gotta get in shape for hotel-blogging from Disney, which was the big reason that I wanted to get the Eee in the first place...)

10 comments:

TOTWTYTR said...

Overall I like the Acer Aspire One better, which is why I bought it. It's great for travel since it's so light and portable. The only problem I've found is that the battery life is pretty short. There are a lot of after market parts for it, including higher capacity batteries.

It would be even better if I decided to by a Blackberry, which I could use as a tethered Broadband modem, but that's a bit too spendy for me right now.

Either way, it's the perfect travel computer for most people. Netbooks are cheap enough that just about everyone can afford one.

Of course if you want to use it at home, you can buy a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and external speakers. Which do defeat the portability, of course.

Gee, now you can even blog from the bathroom.

Alan said...

Welcome to the Eee club!

Borepatch said...

I like mine, when I can get it away from #1 Son. And you're right, it's much easier to take with you.

Now all you need is Linux ...

;-)

Brad_in_MA said...

Patch,
I saw that one coming from miles away. Saw it indeed.

- Brad

Jay G said...

TOTWTYTR,

I would have been happy to look at the Acer, if anyone had had any... The Eee has gotten a truckload of good peer reviews, and it was mighty cheap.

I'm quite pleased with it so far - now, granted, that's only a couple of days...

I still need to spend some quality time maximizing things, though. Frex, I know there are ways to tweak the battery usage to extend the life - right now it looks like the battery's good for about 2.5 - 3 hours, and I think it can be good for up to 4. If that's the case, that's all I could ever imagine needing at one shot...

What's really interesting is that the Eee and the Toshiba together cost me less than any other computer I've ever purchased...

Thanks Alan!

Borepatch,

In my younger days I would have been eager to run Linux. Nowadays, though, I'm happy to use WinXP. All I'm going to use the Eee for is e-mail and blogging, really, so I just don't see much of a need to get real fancy.

OH! You will be happy to know that I had to run into my attic to find the paperwork I left with the router - because my in-house network was secure!

breda said...

YAY!! Go Team Eee!!

TOTWTYTR said...

It's a moot point, since you have an Asus and like it. They're all probably pretty much the same anyway.

Christina RN LMT said...

*SqueEEEeeee*!

Have fun with it, Jay. :)

dr mac said...

Greda suggested one for my wife and she loves it.

dr mac said...

Obviously the full size keyboard makes no difference in my typo statistics.