Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

Footprints
Author Unknown

Walk a little slower, Daddy,
Said a child so small.
I'm following in your footsteps
And I don't want to fall.

Sometimes your steps are very fast,
Sometimes they're hard to see;
So walk a little slower, Daddy
For you are leading me.

Someday when I'm all grown up,
You're what I want to be;
Then I will have a little child
Who'll want to follow me.

And I would want to lead just right,
And know that I was true;
So walk a little slower, Daddy
For I must follow you.

The above was pasted on the back of a tie-shaped card I received from BabyGirl G. this morning for Father's Day. It, naturally, got me to thinking about what being a father - or, more importantly, a dad - entails. There's a lot of maturing that needs to be done when you make the decision to create life; you need to be ready to put another's needs far beyond your own.

You need to realize that, whether you want the title or not, you are that child's role model. Your actions during their childhood will shape their interactions for the rest of their lives; they will look to and at you as the basis upon which to mold their impressions of adults in general, men in specific, and fatherhood as a whole. It's a tough, tough job with a lot of responsibility.

And a huge payoff if you do it right...

Happy Father's Day to all the dads, granddads, and moms filling in the "Dad" role. You're doing a difficult, (sometimes) thankless job, but one that is absolutely critical in your child's life. Your actions now, in their formative years, will help shape them into the adults you want them to be. Don't screw it up. If you've got a bad habit, a particular vice or weakness, work on it. Drop 20 pounds. Start walking around the neighborhood. Get off the couch and toss a ball to them.

Play with them. Love them. Don't be afraid to let them know that their Daddy loves them with all his heart.

That is all.

7 comments:

libertyman said...

I think an important addition to your list is to read to your children. I will always cherish my dad's reading to my sister and me.

Christina RN LMT said...

Hear, hear, Jay.

And a very happy Father's Day to you.

Borepatch said...

Baby Girl G is a lucky kid. So's The Boy.

scotaku said...

Thanks for the wish, JayG. Happy Father's Day to you, too! And to all the fathers in this corner of the web, as well.

-Scotaku

JD said...

Happy Father's day Dude, great poem. . . something to think on

agg79 said...

Great verse!
Happy Father's Day to you as well!
Nothing will humble a person more than to hold your son or daughter's hands when they are born. Great job, Jay!

Sigboy said...

My friend,
Happy Fathersday, continue to teach and guide them. We have no larger responsibility on this earth.