Friday, July 31, 2009

Friday Fun Thread: Two-Wheeled Faves

Today's Top Ten list is a direct result of me staring out my window at the beautiful sunny day and wishing I could be on two wheels instead of five (office chair)... These are my all-time favorite motorcycles, either bikes I've ridden or lusted over.

1. Harley Davidson Ultra Glide CVO. I currently ride an Electra Glide Standard, which is essentially the base model tourer. The Ultra Glide is the high end, with all the bells and whistles, and the CVO gives it custom paint, hotter motor, and a host of special touches like heated seats.

2. Honda Valkyrie. The Valk has been one of my favorite motorcycles since the first time I rode one. It was part of a Honda Open House at the local Honda dealer, and one of the demo ride bikes was a Valk. I waited and waited until it was open, because I wanted to try out the six cylinder, six carburator monster cruiser. And it did not disappoint.

3. Ducati 1198 Superbike. I don't ride sport bikes for a very good reason (I happen to enjoy living). I know myself. I know that, with a powerful bike at my beck and call, the temptation to push the envelope will be great. I don't trust myself on a sportbike. But I'd be willing to chance it on a Ducati...

4. Triumph Bonneville. There's just something about this Brit bike that gives it immense curb appeal. Maybe it's the throwback-to-the-1960s styling. Maybe it's the "James Dean rode a Bonnie". In any case, this is one standard motorcycle that is anything but boring...

5. Kawasaki Drifter. With styling reminiscent of the Indian days, and a price tag that wouldn't even buy a rusted out Indian hulk, the Drifter is the best of both worlds. It's a reliable Japanese bike, built on the venerable Vulcan platform, yet is styled like the great cruising bikes of the '50s.

6. Ural. Ah, the Ural. Like the Makarov pistol, it's a Russian copy of a German staple. It's utilitarian yet functional, and offers a military-styled hack mount for less than the cost of a Harley Davidson sidecar by itself.

7. Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe. It's got serious retro appeal while maintaining modern amenities like fuel injection, clock, and fuel gauge. It looks good with a solo seat or two up; with leather saddlebags or without; with windshield or open.

8. Honda Goldwing. Ah, the Hondabago. Everything except the kitchen sink (and that might actually be an option). Storage for everything you need for a weekend. Power to spare. Linked anti-lock brakes. Satellite radio. If you want a bike that will eat up the miles in decadent comfort, look no further.

9. Boss Hoss. Chevy 350. 'Nuff said? Well, that and the two-speed transmission ("Go" and "HOLYSHITWHATHAVEIGOTTENMYSELFINTO???"). There's just something about a motorcycle built around a V8 engine. Oh, and there's a 502 available, too...

10. Kawasaki ZRX 1200. I thought this was one of the greatest ideas ever when Kawasaki came out with it. Take your sportbike. Strip off all the extraneous plastic cladding. Give it a standard motorcycle-style seat for greater comfort. Then, when you've got the greatest motorcycle since the Honda Nighthawk 700S, offer it for about half the sportbike cost. WIN!


So there's ten of my favorite bikes. This could easily have been a Top 20 or even Top 30 list, as I didn't even get to list my first bike ever (Yamaha XS850) or the first bike I ever rode (Suzuki Tempter). I could also have gone straight through the Harley Davidson line - or Honda, for that matter.

What are your favorite scoots?

That is all.

15 comments:

David said...

Holy crap that description of the Boss Hoss had me rolling.

Anonymous said...

What are your favorite scoots?

Whatever one I'm riding at the moment.

You hit most of my faves. I think I would add the Yamaha Royal Star Venture. A little under-powered (which is relative...I ride a Valk after all) but beautiful styling for a tourer, great accouterments and options and very comfortable.

The Road Star is a great V-twin cruiser too. Powerful, good looks, low center of gravity. Only complaint with that one (at least with the older models...not sure about recent ones) is that the floorboards are too low to the ground so you start scraping hardware in the twisties before really getting into the "DAMN this is fun" lean angles...but for those who don't ride too aggressively, it's a great bike for a reasonable price.

Anonymous said...

Triump Speed Tripple. Dunno why, but it is the only naked bike that I've ever been attracted to.

JohnOC said...

I've wanted a Honda Valkyrie since the first time I saw one.

Borepatch said...

It turns out that the Ural is decent in snow, assuming you'd want to ride it when it was that cold. AFAIK, there isn't a heated grips option.

But the sidecar (and no differential) really gives it some traction.

Anonymous said...

Honda CB900F, because I ride an '82 & it's tons of fun.
Can't forget the lovely Super Blackbird.

Weer'd Beard said...

I've seen that Boss Hoss photo before, and every time I do I mistake the backdrop for your garage door.

I know, you wish!

Rick in NY said...

I've seen a couple Boss Hoss' bikes around, and well, your description is spot on!

Two bikes, one a Hoss, the other, well, I didn't pay much attention because I was drooling at the Hoss while going through an intersection that leads up a large, steep, straight, hill! Steep enough that there's two lanes goin up, so us 4wd slowpokes cna get outta the way. Because about 30 seconds later, the light changed. The other bike tried, I mean really tried, but there is no replacement for displacement, especially when climbing hills!

I'm grinning like an idiot just remembering that one!

Favorite scoot? My dad's old Honda 450. Took a lot of fun rides on that bike as a kid. Now I need to convince the wife that we need one, so our kids can have the same memories.

Anonymous said...

Good list. I'd love a Ural with the driven sidecar. I'd add a few to my list though.

1. the first gen (81-83) Yamaha Virago. It was the bike that really caused H-D to get their sh*t together (also was a main reason for the early 80's import tariffs on jap bikes). A reliable V-twin with hidden monoshock and adjustable suspension, what's not to like (besides the horrible starter they had)?

2. Kawasaki KZ1000. The original drag bike. Blew the doors off any other motor vehicle on the road. Bonus points for guest appearances in CHiPs and Mad Max.

3. Yamaha Stratoliner. Either you love the art-deco styling or you hate it. I love it.

4. Suzuki Hayabusa. 0-60 in 2.5 seconds. 1/4 mile times under 10 seconds. Top speed of almost 200 mph. Show. Room. Stock. Condition. Need I say more?

5. Norton 650 Commando. Gotta love the old brit bikes (as long as you don't have to work on one!) and the Norton is the gold standard, IMNHO.

6. Honda Fury. Sorry, this one is a direct shot at the Harley chopper guys. A full on custom look chopper for $13,000 that makes Paul Teutul Sr cry like Sarah Brady at a NRA convention.

7. Any and all bikes I've ever owned.

Mule Breath said...

Mopar's list is as good as yours, Jay. Although I'm a bit surprised nobody has mentioned the Kaw triples from the 70's. That 750 was as radical as anything I'd ridden until then. Kawasaki dropped them once they started making the KZ-900, which was the beginining of an era.

Your #5 bike should be rated higher. The Drifter is a re-classic. And the bike it is styled after should be on the list.

My favorite? the 76 KZ-900 LTD. The first Kawasaki made in the U.S.A. A good looking but wild crotch rocket.

MauserMedic said...

Hm. There's a Tempter sitting in my garage right now. Which I bought in 1985. Have to get that running again some day, even if I'd be to scared (or smart) to ride it the way I used to.

Anonymous said...

You might gve one of the (slightly) smaller Ducs a shot. I have an '88 850 Paseo. It can give you heart papitations on the highway, but is pretty docile in town(as long as you just keep it in first gear).
emdfl

Jay G said...

I think I mentioned that there were a LOT of bikes I was leaving out... going back through my list, though, really the only even vaguely negotiable bike is the Bonneville. Every other one holds a special place in my heart (or other areas)...

Sailorcurt's answer was the best, though: "Whatever one I'm riding at the moment."

Agreed.

JohnOC and I talked about Valks in IRC yesterday. Someone go sit on his shoulder and be the devil and tell him he *HAS* to buy one... ;)

borepatch,

I know guys up here who ride year round. Personally, I think they're batshit insane, but... :)

weerd,

The Boss Hoss is one of those bikes that I'd like to rent or demo just to say that I'd ridden one. I don't think I'd want to own one, though. I have a feeling it's in the same category as the Hayabusa - too much power for me to safely wield... ;)

MauserMedic,

The story of the Tempter... Oh...

It was the year after I graduated college. It was the early 1990s, when the economy was in the shitter, and I was taking a year off between college and grad school to "find myself" (actually, to work retail and drink a lot of beer).

I had started my own informal housepainting company ("Have Ladder, Will Travel"), and was working on the house of a co-worker's parents. My helper knew the kid across the street, and he was selling a Tempter.

Well, before I knew what was happening, I had the keys in my hand and was throwing my leg over the Suz. No helmet, no gear.

And promptly took it up to 65 MPH on a residential back road...

There's a reason I have stayed away from sportbikes...

Anonymous said...

"I didn't even get to list my first bike ever (Yamaha XS850) or the first bike I ever rode (Suzuki Tempter)."
Worth another post or two. First bikes owned/ridden. Maybe list of all bikes owned? How about a lottery bike (what bike would you buy if yoyu hit the lottery)?

I really could have expanded my list as well. The Suzuki GT 2 stroke triples of the 70s come to mind. The Suzuki GS1000 is another, built to go head to head with the KZ1000 and Honda CBX.

Sara said...

The bike I'm riding now is a Yamaha scooter. Not the best for anything outside a huge city, but a breeze inside it.
http://thenewcaferacersociety.blogspot.com/2009/08/its-100-manly.html