Monday, July 27, 2009

Striking Similarities...

A little background into my train of thought here... I was checking my reflection in the mirror this morning after my post-workout shower. I was trying to decide if I needed to shave, or if the previous evening's shave after the post-lawnmowing shower would be sufficient (it was). A quick glance revealed that the ol' goatee needs trimming, and I reflected that I usually trim it after Bike Week (because, really, who goes to a motorcycle event with close-cropped facial hair?).

And then it struck me: I manage my facial hair roughly thrice a year: Once around review time at work (Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #27: It never hurts to suck up to the boss); once after Bike Week, and once after King Richard's Faire, the local Renaissance Faire. Four months is about how long it takes the goatee to go from trim & orderly to bushy & unruly, apparently.

So then I started ruminating on the similarities between the motorcycle event and the Renaissance Faire. At both events, you're likely to see:

  • Displays involving riding.
  • Men in leather.
  • Breasts hanging out of clothing.
  • Shiny steel.
  • Women in leather.
  • People drinking beer out of non-traditional vessels.
  • Weapons of all shapes, sizes, and function.
  • Large groups of bearded, burly men.
  • Dirt- and dust- encrusted grounds.
  • Dozens of cops eyeing the patrons suspiciously.
It just gave me a chuckle to think how similar the groups really are...

That is all.

5 comments:

TheAxe said...

Your post produced a hillarious mental image of Bikers LARPing

Anonymous said...

In other words, a more independent minded people, not so closely tied to herd mentality.

AnarchAngel said...

Very similar, and with considerable overlap in participants.

Ross said...

Because both crowds believe in living life to the fullest, and both seem to have men who enjoy being MEN, and women who enjoy being WOMEN...

As Mack Bolan would have put it, in "livin' large"!

I'll brag just a touch and mention that not only have I ridden for 27 years, I've been into the SCA and Ren Faire scene for even longer.

Jay G said...

Well, you've got me beat, Ross.

Going to KRF since 1993.

Riding since 1995.

And yes, the mental image of bikers LARPing does tend to kick over the ol' giggle box...