Wednesday, August 19, 2009

MArooned Shootin' Gear Review: .22 Target System

Picked up a Caldwell Resetting Target System from MidwayUSA (this one) and brought it to the range last weekend to put it through its paces. Here's what it looked like before:

Shiny!

And after:

Not So Shiny...

Here's a close-up of one of the swinging targets:

Still In One Piece!



Overall, this is a GREAT target system for the price. The minimum distance recommended by Caldwell is 25 yards, which by a happy coincidence happens to be the back of the pistol range at my gun club. The targets are only 2.5" across, which tends to make things challenging using a pistol (oddly enough, the first two times I shot at this target I used my scoped Remington 511 and my Smith & Wesson Model 17. Of course, I hit it more times with the Smith...).

The "resetting" part works - when the swinging targets will actually stay up top. 9 out of 10 times, you'd hit the last target hanging down only to have another target be jarred down. This is a minor quibble, in that the fun lies in hearing the "tink" of lead on steel rather than in the mechanics of getting all the targets up at once - although there is somewhat of a rush when you hit those little targets with all six shots out of a revolver at 25 yards...

Overall, an enthusiastic two thumbs up for the Caldwell .22 Resetting Target System!

That is all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI: Walmart sells replacement target stickers for those.

Anonymous said...

Wire wheel in an electric drill to scrub off most of the old paint/lead, Then hit them with black spraypaint to take the shine off. Cheap spraypaint. None of it's bulletproof anyways.

WW Paul said...

I own a couple of these. When they get scuffed up lay it on a small piece of plywood and spray paint them with the cheapest paint I could find. No cleaning, no wire brushing. It dries in 10 minutes. Works like a charm.

Anonymous said...

I have one that's similar. I just spray each with the cheapest white paint I can find - no cleaning or brushing, just spray, dry, shoot.