Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Teh Impractical...

I want a short-barreled shotgun.

There. It's out of the way right up front. I shot Libertyman's Mossberg 590 with the 14" barrel and the Speedfeed pistol grip and just fell in love with it. Even scored a hit betwixt the eyes on Pikachu using #7 birdshot. One-handed. Now, I know that for all intents and purposes this is a novelty only. It's not something I'd hunt with (not that I hunt anyways). I doubt I'd use it as a home defense gun, just given the whole NFA aspect - which, really, is a shame, because a 14" barreled shotgun seems like it would be ideal for maneuvering in close quarters.

Now, I doubt I'm going to get one, however, and here's where "the numbers game" messes with my head. For shotguns, the magic number is 18 - as in inches long the barrel shalt be ere one run afoul of the agents of the state. For rifles it's 16 - why those extra two inches are okay in a rifled barrel vs. a smooth bore escapes me. However, it appears as though there are two possibilities for the Mossberg. It is either a short-barreled shotgun - if it ever had a full stock attached - or an AOW (Any Other Weapon) if it has only had the pistol grip on it. What's the difference? $195, and a trip to the Federal pokey if you confuse the two...

Totally impractical. Likely to get my stupid ass in trouble. Of questionable use to me (oh hell, it ain't questionable - this is about as useful to me as a kickstand on a tank) And yet, I want one so bad I can almost taste it. It's the ultimate in cool-but-totally-useless gun items, topping even my pistol bayonet insofar as actual utility-to-cost ratio.

But in the pantheon of cool gunnie shit that's guaranteed to make you the center of attention at the next shoot, a mini-12 gauge is one of the more affordable options. It's not a full-auto or select fire weapon that's heavily regulated and therefore insanely expensive. It's not even a short-barrel rifle that requires a substantial outlay of cash for the rifle part alone (thinking 10.5" barreled AR-15 variants here).

Okay, now that I've shared my one true bizarro want, what other completely impractical yet wicked cool guns or gun items are on your wish list?

That is all.

19 comments:

Comrade Misfit said...

Thompson Model 1928 with a couple 50-round drums.

Either that, or a PPSh.

Both, to my mind, are way up on the coolness scale.

Unknown said...

Quad .50 mounted in my van, push a button and it pops up through the roof. Great way to ensure polite behavior on the road. :>)

Well, OK, I'll settle for the Chicago typewriter.

MeatAxe said...

I'd like a BAR. Its a little impractical, but it sure looks fun.

David said...

Serbu Super Shorty has been on my list for a looooong time now. I want to carry a 12ga concealed. Heh.

Nice little AOW:
http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

She ain't cheap, but looks to be a ton of fun.

SpeakerTweaker said...

I'll take a Barrett M82A1. I have not the money to afford it (near $8K mark = ouchie), the money for the ammo (upwards of $2/round = ouchie), or the room to let it stretch out and destroy.

But, the idea of being able (the rifle, NOT me:) to ping steel at distances greater than an Imperial Mile makes me warm and fuzzy, and is a LEGAL, non-NFA form of PSH amongst the anti's.

What's not to love?



tweaker

Wally said...

Jay, if that little mossy got your interest, you should check out a Tromix Siaga. I handled one and liked it.

As for my completely impractical wish list-
MG42 , Russian 1910 Maxim including the donkey-cart, Lahti 20mm rifle.

Hmn, maybe I should get an extra powerball ticket this week :-)

Lokidude said...

My attention-getters are guns made before my grandfathers were born. Chicks dig old boomsticks. And NFA items, make no mistake, but mine, I can afford to buy and shoot.

Rick in NY said...

Define impractical, or do you mean impractical while I'm still living in NY? I'll go with that for now....

American 180 - full auto 22lr, packs 177 rounds per pie-pan magazine. I love it, a full auto I could afford to feed.

Comrade Misfit hit another one on my want list - the PPSh. 'Nuff said right there.

Other than that, maybe a nice bolt-action 22 with a built-in muffler, so I can quietly take care of the bunnies that get in my garden.

Lastly, and I may get this because it is legal, a flamethrower. Even in NY I can own one. Fire! Fire! Fire! Bwa-ha-ha-haaa!!!!

And to think we coulda had roast Picachu.... I really need to get one!

Anonymous said...

The Abomination...

In reality, I'd like an SBR. The DSA SA58 OSW with a 11 inch barrel. Hell might as well go for gold and get select fire as well. Full auto .308 fun.

Screw it. Lets really bring on the PSH. I'll get a railed forend for it, and get it an M26 MASS.

Weer'd Beard said...

Desert Eagle.

A question desperately seeking an answer, but dang I think they're pretty!

Also I'd LOVE to throw a can on my 1911 it it can shoot as quiet as that friggin Glock!

Of course I live in Mass where the Desert Eagles need to be pre-handgun roster (meaning a beat-up used one goes for the same price as a new one in New Hampshire!) and suppressors are just banned entirely.

Still I must say sticking $1000 worth of suppressor and tax-stamp on a $600 gun seems VERY silly to me.

Atom Smasher said...

8-guage punt gun. Because.... why not?

ajdshootist said...

Gatling Gun in 12g 3in Slug hand kranked!

libertyman said...

I don't don't think of my little Mossberg as impractical, as it is a handy item to have in the house. I am glad it was well received at the blogger shoot, and it is not so fearsome to shoot with target loads at all. I'll bring it along again as everyone is welcome to try it, and it does start conversations at the range!

Jay G said...

libertyman,

It would be impractical for *me* because I wouldn't feel comfortable having an NFA weapon as a home defense gun.

That's me, though.

Of course, you did get me looking, and I found a site that sells the 14" Mossie. Darn you! :)

Anonymous said...

Actually, I thought about getting an AOW as a home-defense weapon... The two determining factors, however, were the ammunition capacity and the fact that my wife would not be comfortable using it without a shoulder stock.

However, given that the Serbu Super-Shorty had and always will have a pistol grip, I have to wonder if my Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit would allow me to carry one as my sidearm... If that does not induce PSH, nothing will.

That said, an AOW is still on my "one day" list, but relatively low, unfortunately... things like a Mateba Model 6 Unica, a mail-order bolt-action .50BMG upper for my AR-15 (just because I can), and other such useless stuff like that come first. :-D

Mikael said...

Where to even start...

Well a HK 21E is certainly among the top for me in impractical gunnut dreams... just love the fact that it can serve double duty as machine gun and sniper rifle. Impractical for legal reasons...

But I'd settle for my dream carry gun(impractical due to ammo and the fact that carry is not legal in my country): Gunmaker Industries Model 1, in .50 GI, throw in a .45 conversion kit and I basically have 2 custom quality guns in 1.

Anonymous said...

I know it's crazy, but I've always wanted a Glock 18.

Russ

ASM826 said...

http://www.arizonagunrunners.com/Products/AutoOrdnance/fullautomatic1928/fullautomatic1928.html

That's the one I buy the day I win the lottery. I've shot one a few times. I don't want a semi-auto, I want an original.

No going to happen, but you did ask.

Anonymous said...

I've got two for the list, which I'll purchase just as soon as I cash in that winning Powerball ticket:

1) A Quigley Sharps in .45-110 (http://shilohsharps.com/). Just because.

2) A "Mare's Leg" - style cut-down levergun, like the one Steve McQueen carried in the old "Wanted Dead or Alive" TV series (and, more recently, by Gina Torres in Firefly). At least one maker, Legacy Sports, actually offers a Mare's Leg that is purpose-built as a handgun, which avoids the whole SBR issue...although I'm not sure if MA and CA residents could own it. Fortunately, I live in a "free" state, gun-wise...

The Legacy Sports version is shown here: http://gunblast.com/Puma-MaresLeg.htm

-- Wes S.