Thursday, October 29, 2009

Comparo!

After the range trip with Lissa, after I cleaned all the guns, I took some extra shots of the S&W model 39 and the SigSauer P232. One of the shots I took of the P232 was on the scale, for a comparison to the S&W AirLite J-frame:

P232 Weight

20.9 ounces. That's pretty hefty for a 7+1 shot .380 ACP. Remember that the S&W AirLite weighs a full seven ounces less (and the P3AT weighs even less than that, with only one round fewer). Now, that extra weight does mean that the .380 is easier to shoot in the P232 than in the P3At, certainly; however for one extra round it's not worth nearly double the weight IMO.

For comparison's sake:

Weight P3AT


Weight 360PD

The pictures also give a rough comparison of the sizes of the three firearms. The P232 and the 360PD are approximately the same size, with the P232 having a slightly longer barrel but definitely slimmer profile. The P3AT is, once again, far and away the smallest gun going; with length, height, and width dimensions as diminutive as its weight.

I still don't see why anyone would voluntarily go without one of these pocket rockets.

That is all.

11 comments:

PISSED said...

Morning Jay, Where is the best gun store around here, in your opinion?

Lissa said...

Because Sigs are HAPPY. So there. :)

Mopar said...

Who needs a rocket in your pocket when you can just carry a peashooter and a grande latte. :)

Anonymous said...

Just make damn sure you carry one.

Jay G said...

PISSED,

I can't say enough good things about Four Seasons in Woburn, really. Top-notch staff, excellent selection, very good prices.

Collector's in Stoneham is good; NorthShore Firearms in Middleton is new but making great strides. Zero Hour Arms in Easton has some of the more esoteric pre-ban stuff in stock.

And if you're looking for long guns, you can't go wrong with either of the State Lines - either in Plaistow NH or in Mason, NH...

Lissa,

Yes, Sigs are happy, I'll give you that. If the P238 becomes MA Approved I may have to pick one up. Or a 239... ;)

Mopar,

Look for legislation banning High Capacity Assault coffee in 3...2...

Did it My Way,

Damn Straight.

zeeke42 said...

"I still don't see why anyone would voluntarily go without one of these pocket rockets."

Because for a few more ounces over the p232 you can get 10+1 of 9x19 in a much more shootable package(G26 or M&P compact).

I see the place for the airweight or the p380, but technology has passed the 232 by.

Weer'd Beard said...

I would agree with Zeek, but I can only speak for myself and how I dress and carry.

Either I'm carrying a pocket gun in a pocket or deep concealment, or I'm carrying a "duty sized" gun which offers considerably more shoot-ability, as well as capacity and fire power.

I don't see the advantage of in-between sizes.

I SO want to love the sig P238, but I just have no desire of stuffing a cocked-and-locked gun into my pocket. Nor do I see the point in letting it ride in a belt holster.

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

"I see the place for the airweight or the p380, but technology has passed the 232 by."

I'd go so far as to say that technology has passed the .32ACP and the .25ACP by. Both of these calibers were made to get a pocket-sized pistol with more punch than a .22 but reasonable capacity. With modern polymers and other technology, larger calibers like the .380ACP can be used in guns that are the same size and a lighter weight than anything made for a .32 or .25. Sure, you could make a .32 or .25 with modern materials, but you would have a hard time making it any smaller and still have it be practically usable.

That's not to say that the old .32s or .25s aren't still usable - just ask Caleb (especially if they're used in conjunction with coffee) - but if you're getting a modern pistol for carrying, you should go with a .380 or larger.

Jay G said...

That was actually my point in the last comment - I don't understand why anyone who carries a gun for self-defense doesn't have a P3AT or an LCP in their arsenal...

Anonymous said...

When I am carrying my 1911, I think it's OK to leave the pocket gun at home...

As much as I like my P232 and P238, sometimes I just wanna ancient design.

Mikee said...

I have a lovely Cold Model 1903 .32 that shoots like a daisy, but I bought it for nostalgia, not self defense. I'd rather carry a Ruger LCP than this rather large (but beautiful) pistol.

And if I want a mousegun that will jam almost every magazine, I can always carry that Beretta Model 21 22LR that I bought in a fit of insanity.