Friday, November 6, 2009

Friday Gun Pr0n #136

Today's gun pr0n is one of the odd ducks in the G. armory:

Saiga-20

It's a Saiga-20, a semi-automatic, magazine-fed 20 gauge shotgun based on the Kalishnikov design. Magazines aren't quite as hard to come by as they are for the VEPR, but still on the pricey side and not likely to be readily available. Also, because it's a semi-automatic shotgun, all AWB rules apply because of the lovely state of MA - that means, for shotguns, that any magazine over 5 round capacity needs to be pre-ban, not 10 rounds as for pistols and rifles.

It's great for slugs and buckshot; the semi-automatic action really cuts down the recoil of the already more shoulder friendly 20 gauge. It handled slugs and buckshot easily; birdshot it was a little finicky although I think I needed to switch the adapter over. All in all, it's a good, sturdy shotgun to have in the armory, even if its larger brother the Saiga-12 is the more sought-after version.

And you should see the looks it gets on the trap range!

That is all.

6 comments:

Brad_in_IL said...

Jay,

Refresh my memory . . . will the Saiga-20 (or -12) take a bayonette? And oddly enough, the verification word today is "gagstick".

Weer'd Beard said...

Oddly enugh my 590 doesn't get many odd looks at the trap range. Of course I leave the bayonet at home when I'm busting clays.

How is the Saiga for trap?

firefighter4884 said...

I've had the opportunity to witness the shooting of a .410 Saiga with a red dot on it.

All I can say, absolutely 100% made of win!

BUFF_dragon said...

Having a few Saiga12's in my cabinet, I can say that they are a freakin BLAST, literally....
I've got a few that are unconverted, they're fun, but my one that I have converted and done a little work to is an absolute HOOT to shoot.... slugs, buckshot, birdshot, doesn't matter, as long as I have the GunFxr gas plug on the right adjustment (easily turned by hand in 1/4 turn increments) it eats anything I've put through it....

having a folding stock, pistol grip, mag fed, 12 gauge that'll hit steel at 100 yards with bare sights, and also bust clays without hesitation is just FUN
if you want to see some REALLY WILD builds check out www.saiga-12.com there are entire picture threads.

dr mac said...

Gee, and Christmas is comming up.

Anonymous said...

Bought one when they were first being imported by a company in Florida. Lots of fun the first time I took it to the shotgun club to test fire it.
I was also smart enough to buy two extra mags of both sizes from the same guy. Got a really good deal on those as well as on the cost of the gun.
emdfl