Monday, November 30, 2009

Raising the Stakes...

I mentioned receiving two laser sights for review last Monday from the LaserLyte company. Imagine my surprise when I received an e-mail from a representative of LaserMax with the same request:
Please send me your address so I can send you some samples.

Two out of three from my request. Only Crimson Trace hasn't responded (guys! There's still time!).

Two days later, I got another box 'o' happy fun stuff, this time from LaserMax:

Box 'o' Fun Stuff #2

See that? They even included extra batteries!

Will, the LaserMax rep, suggested a comparison between the two brands of laser sights:

It would be great if you could compare laser brightness, practical ease of activation, time required to install and remove laser sight, etc, etc.

The plan is to give each manufacturer its own review, then follow up with impressions of the two (or three, if CT decides to join in, hint hint...). So far, both sets of sights have been installed. They both look very impressive, and I'm really looking forward to trying them out at the range. Both companies included a sight for the Sig P226, so there will be a direct comparison using the same gun; LaserLyte also sent a sight for my G30 and LaserMax sent a universal Weaver-mount sight that will be tested on my Smith & Wesson 422 (.22LR).

I'll be posting initial impressions of the LaserLyte sights later this week, and plan to get to the range next Monday (gotta love burning vacation days before year end!) to test all four units out. I'm going to try to test both at an indoor range and an outdoor range, and will have pictures (and possibly video, if I can manage it) from at least the outdoor range (my gun club). Each manufacturer will get its own initial impression review; a preliminary shooting review, and a couple follow-up reviews - figure it'll be good to see how they hold zero over a few hundred rounds.

I'm excited as all get-out about this - does it show???

That is all.

PS: Once again, there's still time if Crimson Trace wants in on this MArooned exclusive... *g*

7 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

Does CT NEED to join in? Really I see them as the bench-standard for laser sights.

Honestly I'll be comparing your reviews to my experience with CT laser grips.

Anonymous said...

It would be nice to see all 3 in a side by side unbiased shootout.

Jay G said...

Weer'd,

No one *has* to join in. It would be interesting to see how the "newcomers" stack up against the benchmark.

It would also be instructive to have the three major methods of attachments for lasers in one place:

Sights (LaserLyte)
Internal (LaserMax)
Grip mount (Crimson Trace)

mopar,

I know, wouldn't it? (HINT HINT) :)

Borepatch said...

Congratulations on receiving your first box 'o swag from the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy, Inc.

ASM826 said...

Amazing. I'm going to try blegging and see if anyone is listening. Maybe I'll ask for reloading presses and see how it works out.

Jay G said...

Borepatch,

It's actually my second box. LaserLyte was the first to send me stuff to review...

ASM826,

Believe me, no one's more surprised than I am. I'm just hoping that my reviews can do the products justice...

Anonymous said...

I have a Crimson Trace on my P3AT and it's a hoot. Especially fun to tease the cat with.