Thursday, December 24, 2009

(Almost) Friday Gun Pr0n #143

Since Friday happens to be Christmas Day, and I don't plan on being anywhere near my computer, I figured I'd post my Friday Gun Pr0n a day early. I was racking my brain trying to think of a suitable picture; I wanted something that tied in with the holiday, and was coming up blank for a gun that I could relate to Christmas. I thought about posting a picture of a firearm I'd like to get for Christmas, when out of the blue I thought of the perfect thing:

Red Ryder .177 Caliber Carbine

Yes, that is an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle you see under our Christmas tree (although to be truthful I bought it for TheBoy a while back). I couldn't think of a more fitting gun to have under the tree for the Friday gun picture for Christmas (Eve) Day.

Just don't shoot your eye out, kid.

That is all.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like the 650 shot model. The 200 shot range model had a compass in the stock and a thing that tells time. :)

Seriously, even as a kid I guess I was a bit of a gun geek, 'cause I never wanted a red ryder. I remember knowing even back then that it's low fps spring piston made it a rather week choice for my $20 (or whatever it cost). My first air rifle was a crosman 760. As I remember, it was about the same price as a red ryder, but being it was a pump style (really, who actually followed that "never more then 10 pumps!" warning?) it had a lot more power then the red ryder. It could also shoot the more accurate pellets, but they were a lot more money then BBs for a kid to buy (remember when the corner 5 and dime sold BBs to 10yr old kids?) so those were only used for "competition" against other kids.

HankH said...

Watched that movie with my daughter last night while wrapping presents - one of our mandatory Christmas movies, along with "Elf", "Christmas Vacation" and "It's a Wonderful Life". I'm a new visitor to your blog, and I really enjoy it. I used to live in the communist republic of New Jerseystan, but now enjoy the gun friendliness of Missouri. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

HankH

Jay G said...

Heh. My first was a Crosman 760, too. I figured I'd drop the $30 on the Red Ryder for the tip 'o' the keyboard to "A Christmas Story" and then get him a real air rifle down the road.

Or just move him up to .22s...

Anonymous said...

Oh, and whe I went to buy the kid his first BB gun, the Crosman 760 (and just about every other starter bb gun) has a plastic stock now instead of wood, blah. Sadly, the only inexpensive BB guns with wood stocks I saw were made in China. He ended up with a Daisy 880 which is still plastic but multipump and a rifled barrel, which is something my crosman didn't have.

Wally said...

Started on a 760 myself. Dad turned it over to the PD when he moved out of state (why?!). 10 years later I bought my first home, and maybe 3 years afyer that I was poking around in the rafters over the shed. There sat a 760 with a belly full of BBs :-)

Pop N Fresh said...

careful you'll shoot your eye out...