Tuesday, December 29, 2009

From the Mouths of Babes...

So, yesterday I brought the Gaia-hatin' Ram in for its 30,000 mile service. We get a loaner car as part of the package, and the perky just-outta-college dude from the rental place rolls up in a shiny new Hyundai Accent. It's a bare-bones "economy" rental, but it's free and it means I don't have to wait four hours for the truck to be done, so I pile myself and TheBoy into the Hyundai and off we go.
"Dad. Hey Dad!" I hear from the back seat.

"Yeah buddy, what's up?"

"You gotta see this - it's really cool! You open the windows all by yourself!"

Yes, TheBoy was fascinated with manual windows. This isn't the first car he's been in that doesn't have power windows, but the most recent and the one he noticed. I started thinking about it, and I haven't had a car with crank windows since the Toyota van I owned in 1997... It's really funny, though - he thought it was a special option that only that car had; $20 says he goes into school next Monday bragging to his friends about the really cool car his dad rented...

Hey, who am I to knock down his elementary school bragging rights, right?

That is all.

PS: Mrs. G. looked at me after TheBoy came out with this one and said "You're gonna blog this, aren't you?"

Yes, dear, I certainly did...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just for shits and giggles (and 'cause I have the same Gaia-hatin' Ram you do), how much is that 30k service costing ya? I'm actually at 33k, but the only thing special I think was on the 30k service was changing the spark plugs, so it hasn't gone in yet. Those rear plugs look like such a biotch to get to I may very well elect to pay someone one to change them. First time I've ever paid to have my plugs changed and it pains me to even consider it.

PISSED said...

Good morning Jay,

Hope the tongue is doing well... Just wanted to make an observation ;)

From your Bio:
Dad, gun nut, motorhead, shaved-head biker with a foul mouth and a bad attitude.

From your post:
Toyota van I owned in 1997

One of these things doesn't go with the other....

Just sayin!! : )

TXGunGeek said...

Yeah well, More years ago than I care to admit, my family was camping in the Big Bend area and I "Discovered" these new fangled toilets you didn't have to flush!

Skip said...

Phones ya had to put your finger into holes and dial, teletypes, inkwells in your school desk, prop planes, shit...I'm old.

Jay G said...

mopar,

It was pricey - about 5 bills - but it's a pretty major service. The Honda 30K service was only about $75 less - six years ago.

PISSED,

Hey, I was a grad student, and the van was bought as surplus from the UNH farm school. Toyota DX van with only 86K on the clock for $500???

TXGunGeek,

Heh. I forget how old I was when I first "discovered" those types of toilets, but being from New England, I had plenty of buddies whose houses had one out back...

James,

I remember phones with holes in 'em. Heck, I remember TVs with knobs, too...

Anonymous said...

$500?!?!
What did they do? The manual calls for engine oil change, axle oil change, check other fluid levels, change spark plugs, check air filter, and rotate tires. That's not major service in my book.

Matt said...

My current vehicle, an '05 Chevy Cavalier, has manual everything. Tranny, windows, seats. Well, it does have power steering and ABS. Oh, and all it has is an AM/FM head unit. Not even a tape player.

But what can I say? I drive < 5 miles to the transit station, and then < 5 miles back home. Oh, yeah, and I just turned 33k on the odometer.

Anonymous said...

Damn high $$$ for service. Must be one hell of a truck. My 2002 Silverado has only had oil changes every 2500 miles. No other service in 75,000 miles. Guess I'm lucky or stupid-don't know which. Oh yea I have crank down windows to.

See Ya

Anonymous said...

jay,

in regards to the van...

you forgot to mention the loverly lingering Ode' D'pig


Mrs. Sci fi