Monday, December 14, 2009

Quote of the Weekend...

Went to the gun club with commenter, friend, and all-around good guy brad_in_ma yesterday. We attempted to sight in my Bushmaster, but were thwarted by a busy rifle range and a recalcitrant buffer retainer (anyone got any experience unjamming a stuck bolt???). We left the rifle range for the pistol range, where I discovered that the pin that holds the adjustable sight on the Gold Cup 1911 had worked its way about halfway out, resulting in the sight tipping noticeably to the right.

At this point I quipped, "Alright, one more thing breaks when I touch it and I won't dare go to the bathroom" (riff on a Rodney Dangerfield line). Got the Colt fixed, set up some targets, and blasted happily away. As we were winding things down, a group of folks came onto the range. Father, two sons, and a family friend had come along to the range for some recoil therapy, and for the younger boy (8-10) it was his first time shooting. Brad and I complimented the dad on the thorough safety lesson he gave his son, as well as the hands-on help.

It was then that I noticed what they'd brought for the boy's first time shooting: An M&P compact 9mm. Now, granted, this may have been the only gun they own, and they were certainly showing him how to shoot safely, but a light 9mm wouldn't be my first choice to teach a child to shoot. In fact, the older boy took a few shots and then steadfastly refused to shoot any more.

So I wandered over with the tried-and-true Smith & Wesson model 17. At first they were reluctant to try it, thinking it was one of those "44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world" they'd heard about; when I showed that it was a .22, they warmed immediately. I let the dad and his friend run a couple cylinders through it, then hand it off to the eager younger boy. He put two cylinders through it, thanked me profusely, then turned to his brother and said,
"You should try it. That was FUN!"

I *still* can't get the smile off my face...

That is all.

9 comments:

Michael W. said...

Good on ya Jay!

You MAY have just brought another one in the fold........

libertyman said...

Well done sir!

Julie said...

great work!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You sir are a true gentleman. Can I send you some cash for ammo?

Wally said...

Jay, I recently had a problem with the buffer retainer in my BM. (FrankenM4). The retainer worked it's way out through the tube and it's hole broke through into the rear of the fire control group housing. Bolt would not retract all the way, would not go into battery to allow for takedown.

Solution was a mallet on the forward assist to get the bolt home, then open the receiver and inspect carnage.

In my case I was able to salvage the buffer tube by facing off 3/16" on the lathe. Receiver is in use but not in ideal shape. It has run okay since, but that receiver will be removed from service soon, welded up, and machined extensively as the basis of my new build. Which is as of yet TOP secret, but I hope to have some pics for 4/15 (build a gun day).


word verification : wearsemi
(don't mind if I do!)

Anonymous said...

Jay, I'm pretty sure God was watching. That'll work out well for you.

A Horse Thief said...

Jay, the man with the new shooter plan. This is exactly the reason that my Ruger Single Six comes to the range every time. It may not be the best new-shooter gun, but it beats the socks off of a M&P in 9mm.

Way to be in the right place at the right time with the right gun.

Anonymous said...

Great work, brother! That one attaboy more then made up for the other 2 aweshits. But I gotta ask; only 2 cylinders? Was the range closing? :P
IMNHO there is no handgun in the world better to start off a first time shooter then a .22 wheelgun.

Mikael said...

I dunno about that mopar, I'd think a ruger (mk II, mk III) would at least tie. Less things for the new shooter to worry about, eg: cocking hammer for every shot to avoid heavy DA trigger pull, for a first timer, that's a distraction. With a semi-auto, they can just keep aiming and squeezing til empty, and the instructor can load a spare mag while they shoot.