Saturday, December 5, 2009

What Happened?

Today is December 5th. Christmas is 20 days away. Twenty days.

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I'm in a full-fledged panic right about now - I haven't even started my Christmas shopping; heck, we're not even finished putting the decorations up around the house. There's folks coming in from out of town that have to be accomodated; we're being pressed into service to help Mom G. prepare the extravagant Christmas dinner; in short, there's about three months worth of work to be done and less than three weeks in which to do it.

It didn't used to be like this.

I remember being a kid, right around the age TheBoy is right now. Twenty days before Christmas my feet would barely be touching the ground. In less than three weeks the big day would be here; there would be presents and candy and I get to stay up late and omgiwonderifsantawillbringmeallthestuffiaskedfor... Plus we got like two weeks off from school, no homework, no responsibility for two whole weeks, nothing to do but relax.

Somewhere along the way, the magic turned into work. As we get older, and have more and more responsibilities thrust upon us, it becomes less and less about spending the holidays with family - and, G-d forbid, actually celebrating the real reason behind the season - and more and more about putting on appearances; going to the right parties, giving the perfect gift, getting everyone on an ever-growing list exactly what they want...

Having kids changes all that again. There's still a lot of work - heck, there's a lot more work involved, as Christmas now involves Christmas pageants, Cub Scout/Daisy "Holiday" parties, shopping for friends, Christmas traditions (like our latest one, the "Elf on the Shelf"), making sure we pick up a few toys for Toys for Tots and some winter clothes to drop off at the Salvation Army and the nine million other things that have to come together to make Christmas magical for our kids.

The magic does return. It returns in the face of my six year old daughter, smiling with glee as she writes down her Christmas list. It returns in the simple act of putting up the lights on the house - with my (almost) nine year old son standing by to "help", his first year as dad's helper with the lights. They're getting bigger and bigger; TheBoy is starting to ask uncomfortable questions (but has, at least for this year, decided to accept that Santa is real if for no other reason than the very capitalistic "I'll get more presents" reason... *g*). But for right now, they both believe. The Christmas magic is strong. And contagious.

When you have kids, it becomes abundantly clear that, yes, Santa is real.

That is all.

5 comments:

scotaku said...

I agree, JayG - somewhere along the line Christmas changes from being magic to being work. But then we have kids, and the magic returns, only of a different, even more potent flavor.

My kids are getting a bit older, but still, there's nothing like the pure shine they get when Christmas morning comes. And somehow that shine passes back to us older folk, making the magic something greater than the sum of its parts.

Christina RN LMT said...

*sigh*

Christmas stopped being Christmas for me once my kids stopped believing in Santa Claus.

Enjoy this magical time, Jay!

AngryPatriot said...

Yeah...its all about the kids. And t he best part is, when they're really young, about half the time its a $5 present that makes them smile more than a $50 one...and therein lies the magic.

Seeing your kid smile is the greatest reward for all the panicked, last-minute running around.

Anonymous said...

Stopped believing in Santa Clause? Why?

My kids are 21 and 24 respectively and they still believe in Santa Clause. Never once in their lives did they express any disbelief.

Because Santa Clause is a principle, not a person.

It is the principle of unconditional love, expressed by parents giving gifts to their kids without any expectation of reward...not even thanks...in return.

If kids are disappointed or feel that their parents lied to them when they realize that gifts from "Santa" are really being provided by their parents, then I would submit that the parents went about it the wrong way.

I'm very glad my kids still believe in Santa Clause and continue the rich family tradition of teaching their kids about selfless giving.

Anonymous said...

Well I'm 68, and I still believe in Santa Claus. Every year I leave him cookies and milk, and he leaves me a gun and ammo. You bet I believe!

See Ya