Friday, February 12, 2010

Assault And Snowthrowery?

Franklin Park Man Charged After Using Snowblower

FRANKLIN PARK BOROUGH (KDKA) A Franklin Park Borough man is facing an assault charge after using his snowblower.

Steve Negri says that a plow driver accused him of throwing snow into the street while he used the device in his driveway.

He says tempers flared as he explained that the snowblower can throw snow 20 feet or so across the street.

Okay, what the holy hell is going on south of NY here? First we have felony charges for throwing snow with a shovel in VA, now it's assault with a deadly snowthrower in PA. VA I can understand - they're not used to snow, so tempers are running high. But PITTSBURGH? C'mon folks!

Now, don't get me wrong. I've had issues with the folks that plow our street in the past (it's actually a new crop of guys doing the plowing, as I wasn't the only one complaining). They made a game out of seeing how many consecutive mailboxes they could knock over one year. They seemed to delight in cutting in onto the lawn to dig it up another. Any time you've got a group of folks who think they're indispensible there's bound to be a few bad apples who abuse their position.

And LORD knows I've had plenty of issues with the generic yahoos with plows on their personal vehicles...

But turning on a snowthrower so it shoots snow into the cab of the truck? On what planet did you think this was a good idea? Did you *not* think that this would simply end with a wet, cold, and angry plow driver? And here's a newsflash - it doesn't matter who "started" it - it matters who escalated it. When this goes to court, you will lose. More than likely it'll be pleaded out - the court's got better things to do than slap your pecker for being an asshole - but while your idiocy is tying up the court's time who knows how many real crimes will go unpunished?

Common sense really isn't...

That is all.

Another link courtesy of reader PISSED - thanks!

2 comments:

Bob S. said...

Jay,

I had a different take on the situation.

Did you read the comments by the cops who came to investigate?

“I said, ‘What do you mean you don’t need to? It’s part of the investigation.’

“He said, ‘Look I’ve known him for 17 years – I know who he is I don’t know you so we’ll just let a judge sort this out,’” Negri said.


Now, I completely agree that pelting the city employee with snow was out of line but does that rise to the level of the crime.

What worries me is the attitude of the cop. He knows the employee so he sides with him. Who started it does matter --legally.

Just my two cents

Illeix said...

"Common sense isn't"? That's BS my friend.

"Common sense" is indeed aptly named, not for the rate of it's occurance, but for the type of stupidity that it refers to.