Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Back Up The IDON'TF**KIN'THINKSO Truck...

SCI-FI just sent me an e-mail with this link:

Acquiring Shotguns
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) intends to purchase sixty Remington Model 870 Police RAMAC #24587 12 gauge pump-action shotguns for the Criminal Investigation Division. The Remington parkerized shotguns, with fourteen inch barrel, modified choke, Wilson Combat Ghost Ring rear sight and XS4 Contour Bead front sight, Knoxx Reduced Recoil Adjustable Stock, and Speedfeed ribbed black forend, are designated as the only shotguns authorized for IRS duty based on compatibility with IRS existing shotgun inventory, certified armorer and combat training and protocol, maintenance, and parts.
The IRS needs short-barreled shotguns? To be compatible with existing inventory? Are you SHITTING ME? While I understand that the IRS has armed agents (and unless Hollywood has lied to me, has had them for decades), can someone please explain to me why the Internal Revenue Service NEEDS, let alone maintains an inventory of, short-barreled shotguns? The shotguns described in the solicitation are close-combat weapons: short barrels for easy indoor maneuvering, recoil-reducing stocks for increased control and quicker follow-up shots, ghost ring sights...

Sure would be nice if *I* could get one of these shotguns without jumping through all kinds of legal hoops...

That is all.

UPDATE: I gotta post faster. New Jovian Thunderbolt has had this story up for a good hour plus. His conclusion is the same as mine, FWIW...

10 comments:

Patrick said...

A guess the revenuers finally got tired of being out-gunned. It's been that way for a while now, Jay. Even though LEO's aren't any different than a private citizen, somehow they get to be above the law. This is just a more serious extension of hitting the lights for a red light....

Robert McDonald said...

Me thinks I could convince a jury of just about any 12 non-IRS individuals that an armed IRS agent puts me in reasonable fear for my life....

I jest, I jest.

bluesun said...

Their nefarious plot is working. I will dot every i and cross every t this year. And earlier than the day before they're due. And I'll let them have a little extra! Just don't hurt me, taxman!

Anonymous said...

The IRS needs short-barreled shotguns?

Two words: delinquent zombies.

In all seriousness, the answer is simple: people do not like being taxed. People like their children and their children being taxed even less. Something tells me the IRS is aware of this discontent, and potentially planning accordingly.

That said, 60 shotties is nothing. Now, when the requisition gets up to 600, we have issues.

AngryPatriot said...

Jay...

I would look at this as a business opportunity. All you need do have is:

1) FFL
2) Be registered in CCR, which means you get a CAGE code assigned
3) Have a DUNS number in order to get said CAGE code.

Then, you too can bid on the contract, and make a few bucks selling goodies to the goobermint.

Then you get to pay taxes on the money you earned from the goobermint, in effect making even less money after competing with the other FFL holders out there.

Patriot

Black Ice said...

Just remember, folks...it's 'taxation,' not 'extortion.'



...Right?

Dave said...

I guess it depends on where they end up keeping these.

If each state gets a relatively even share that's one or two per state: ten states get an extra.

Or that's sixty in one place: could be replacements, or additional.

Myself, I would want a decent firearm when running down the door on an organized crime or drug den to serve them their over-due tax bill.

Anonymous said...

The alternative explanation is that perhaps the IRS foresees a day in the very near future, in which angry mobs of citizens are storming IRS offices, forcing their employees into a deadly game of hide-and-seek with heavily armed taxpayers in pursuit.

I'd think a 14" barrelled 12-gauge pump would work quite well in the "repel boarders" function...

;)

On a more serious note, it's almost as much a suprise to me that IRS has an "existing shotgun inventory," never mind that they want SBSs to go along with them...

--Wes S.

DesertRat said...

When I was living in Military Housing that was being closed down the IRS used one of the empty units for Dynamic Entry training.

Anonymous said...

Well, this is not new. Oleg Volk did a photo a couple years back, which I cannot noe find, about the IRS buying combat shotguns. I will keep looking for the poster.