Thursday, February 11, 2010

Help A Gunblogger Out...

Mule Breath has a conundrum:
I picked up a Mini-14 Ranch for cheap and want some short-range optics. The NcSTAR D4RG Red/Green Dot rig looks pretty good on paper, but I've not seen one in use. Got any sage advice about this or other optics?
Well, I sure wish I had some words of wisdom, but at the moment, my knowledge of rifle optics is limited to cheap .22LR scopes that hold zero about as well as Ă˜bama speaks without a teleprompter... I've got an inexpensive BSA red dot sight on my S&W 422 that performs pretty well; back when I had the Marlin model 60 it also had a BSA red dot sight and that worked just fine, too. I don't know how the BSA line holds up to the rigors of rifle recoil, though; it's probably best to get something rated a little stronger than .22LR.

I know that EOTech, Trijicon, and Aimpoint make some fine red dot sights, however they come with the price tag to match their fine reputations - expect to pay $200 - $500 (or more!) for these sights. BSA, NcStar, Barska, and TruGlo (among others) are more "budget-oriented"; the kicker here is separating the sight that won't hold zero in a bucket and falls off if you look at it funny from the entry-level model that doesn't have the bells and whistles of its higher-priced brethren. There's a lot of sights out there, and you can spend anywhere from $50 to $500 without batting an eye on a simple red dot (I won't even begin to get into quality magnifying optics!).

So, what advice do you have for Mule Breath? Are there any brands that, in your opinion, he should stay away from? Have you picked something up on a whim that has turned out to be a pleasant surprise; or, conversely, is there anything out there you've bought that turned out to be a real POS to stay the hell away from? Any advice would be appreciated - and if you happen to have ideas for shotguns as well, that would be great, as the Mossberg could use a new sight...

Also, if any of the companies named above would like to submit a unit for testing, let's talk...

That is all.

13 comments:

libertyman said...

Buy a good sight, period. Look for an EOTech used or a used Aimpoint, if money is the concern. The philosophy of saving money by buying a cheap sight, when the whole function of the gun (hitting the target) depends on it, doesn't make sense.

It reminds me of people who buy a high end camera, then buy an off brand lens for it because it is cheaper. You still get what you pay for. Get the best one you can afford.

Wally said...

NCStar? You are better off with EBOla.
I bought a $60 ncstar and in two months it split in two (on a 9mm carbine.) Since nothing csn really be that crappy, I replaced it with a $95 ncstar. Two months later, total failure. Yay crappy imported crap.
In the same timeframe I put a Leupold on another rifle- works absolutely fine, kinda boring even.

Weer'd Beard said...

Opics Suck! Use Iron Sights!!!!

Robb Allen said...

I can't speak for anything other than the one I bought for my .22, but the NcStar open red dot I got has been, for the most part, very reliable. But that's on a Ruger Mark III 22/45.

It's not a crystal clear dot. It comes with several other reticles, but I only use the smallest dot, and then I only use it up to 25 yards and in those distances, it works fine for a $30 holosight.

I tried to cheap out on a red dot for my AR and burned $60 on a POS (not NcStar, but another low quality brand. UTG I think).

The problem is that you can buy 10 NcStars new for what you can get a normal brand used in many cases. So, if anything, they make a decent back up ;) But if you can afford a better optic, do so. If you can't, be prepared to buy a few.

Liberty Man, re: cameras. The body isn't much more than a light tight box. The picture you get depends primarily on your lens. I've never understood the mindset of expensive body / cheap lens either.

Weer'd Beerd - Iron Sights suck! USE POINT SHOOTING!

NMM1AFan said...

Got a Simmons 2X shotgun scope on my Ranch Rifle. It's held up ok, I think it was $80 or thereabouts.

pdb said...

If he wants an electronic optic, first step is to sell the Mini-14 and get a flat top AR. All the scope mounts I've seen for the mini are either hopeless kludges that will quickly lose zero or make the rear sight unusable until you take the mount off.

I think the Ultimak scout mount may not suck and allow you to use the irons when the cheap scope fails, but I haven't seen one in person. But also note that by the time you've bought a decent mount and good rings, you've already spent $175+. Why then skimp out on a $50 optic?

Anyway, if you want to pay less than Aimpoint prices, scour arfcom for a used Aimpoint.

Also, Weerd is full of crap. Quality electronic sights are worth every penny and make the rifle much easier and faster to use under stress. If you can't afford quality optics, stick with the irons.

Bill said...

The iron sights on a ranch rifle are excellent. Even my old blind eyes do well with em.

Optics seem pointless unless you're talking something that will help you out to 300+ yards, which is hardly short-range.

Steve said...

Of course good optics are vital. As is plenty of time on the range.

I used a Trijicon ACOG M150 on my m4 over in Iraq, and had no complaints whatsoever. It was relatively quick to sight, and suffered no malfunctions during the deployment. They're relatively expensive however.

Of course, you should always get your iron sights online too. :-)

Arthur said...

I threw a BSA red dot on my AK-47 because the stock iron sights were useless for anything past conversational range.

It's handled 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 rounds. It also stood up to falling off a bench hard enough to gouge the aluminum adjustment cap.

Anonymous said...

I spent the money and bought an Aimpoint. /shrug

I also bought a Centerfire .22lr varmit scope for $39 at Dick's. I'm happy with both. Also have flip up iron sights that witness through the aimpoint when I use it.

Heath J said...

I'm an EoTech shooter myself. Watch the gunboards and they can be had for 300 or so.

I've got an Aimpoint comp m2, and I'm less than impressed.

Either way, you get what you pay for afa glass is concerned.

Anonymous said...

There is a reason why new EOTechs and Aimpoints and the Trijicon/Meprolight reflex sights start at the 450 range. I personally am an EOTech guy, I've loved all the ones I've used. An acquaintance of mine who has done some time in both AStan and Iraq told me that it offers three different option for shooting. The Aimpoints have that 80 billion years battery life, though.

I was told by someone a bit wiser than I that your optics should cost at least as much as your rifle. Since my AR was 650 out the door, the Aimpoint or EOTech will do just right for me.

Shy Wolf said...

Just purchased the BSA Tactical 4x30, mounted on .357 Marlin. Like it so much I bought another for the .22 and am considering putting one on the .243. I really like this scope compared to the others I have, especially with its MilDot reticle.
Dunno if it's available in your area- but google it and check the specs- and find one near you, check it out. I think you'll be plesantly surprised.
Shy III