Thursday, February 18, 2010

MArooned Product Review: LaserMax CGL Foregrip Laser

Back before Christmas I mentioned getting a package from the good folks at LaserMax which contained a couple of goodies for testing. One of these items was the Colt CGL Foregrip Laser, a rail-mounted vertical pistol grip with integral laser and light. It languished in the box for several weeks while I debated the best way to attach it to my Bushmaster. I finally decided on a new foregrip with rails and figured it was time for initial impressions.


Here's the unit installed:

Colt CGL Foregrip Laser

There's the CGL foregrip installed on the Bushmaster (more info on the attachment method tomorrow in Friday's Gun Pr0n, where the new and improved Bushie will make its appearance). It attaches via a quick-release throw lever (which isn't all that quick in that it takes quite a bit of "oomph" to budge the lever, which, really, is exactly what you want). It is positively rock-solid on the rifle, not budging even when the entire rifle is carried by the pistol grip only. Believe me, I tried to get this to move and couldn't do it...



CGL, rear

There's the selector for light or laser. There are four positions total: Light (switch pointing to the left), off (switch pointing straight up, as shown), laser on solid (switch pointing to 1 o'clock) and laser on pulse (switch pointing to ~ 2:30). Given the purpose of the laser sight, it's interesting that there's no laser & light setting - the whole "know your target" aspect. Given that the two have definitely different ranges (more below), it's not too serious an oversight.



CGL, front

Here's the trigger switch, a simple push-button at the front of the grip. The layout is ergonomically excellent; I could index my finger on top of the unit and be ready to activate it in a moment's notice. The grip has texture that's not too grating yet provides a solid surface for gripping; a Hogue Hand-all grip might make a good addition.



CGL Laser

Here's the laser portion of the CGL foregrip. This is the entire length of my house plus garage, a distance of about 65 feet. I was able to easily resolve the laser dot at the edges of my property (~ 75 yards) at night; outdoors during the day will be tested when I get to the range. The dot is bright; when on pulse it's very noticeable and quickly acquired. Rough adjustments based on iron sights have been performed and are simple to fine-tune.



CGL Light

The light is the weakest part of the unit in a literal sense. I was surprised to see two AA batteries powering the unit; I would have expected something more along the lines of a couple CR123A Lithium batteries for more power. The light given off from this unit is adequate at best, throwing enough light to maneuver in a totally dark area but not sufficient to safely acquire a target while identifying the backstop, for example. This is one case where more power would definitely be worthwhile.

UPDATE: I was e-mailed by my contact at LaserMax about this issue. I'll let him explain the light in his own words:

Thank you for your attention to the Colt/LaserMax CGl. I would like to explain some of the design elements of the Colt Fore-grip Laser.

The product was designed as an accessory to the Colt Military/LE/Consumer Black rifle line that includes the LE-6920/6940 and the PDW (personal defense weapon), etc. with features to satisfy Special Operators requirements.

1. The CGL illuminator is a covert travelling light that provides 4 lumens to allow the operator to identify sure footing and obstacles with minimum signature. The LED light is available in white, red or blue for reasons of team identification and preserving night vision. We assumed that the operator would have mounted their choice of a +100 lumen light from SureFire, Insight, Streamlight, or a NVG to provide positive target identification.

2. The choice of AA battery allows CGL operation with the Military’s most commonly available power source and keeps the grip slim and low in weight. Lithium AA batteries are also available and provide extended life for the CGL’s low current power drain.

3. The American Defense QD rail mount is fully adjustable to allow mounting to any Picatinny Rail. The Picatinny’s dimensions tend to vary from each manufacturer. To adjust the mount for a perfect fit, remove the CGL from your rifle’s rail, squeeze the mount in so the hex head screw can be turned and loosen it one notch and try remounting it until the QD lever can be locked with reasonable thumb pressure.

Given those parameters, the light is nigh-perfect. My apologies for not doing my homework and realizing that this was a secondary light - in that role, it's well-suited for that task. It provides ample illumination in the immediate area of the operator, and the battery choice makes sense with this additional information. As for the rail mount, I was quite impressed with how solidly it mounted to my forend rail.



Overall, it's a worthy addition to any AR-15 carbine. It's simple to attach; controls are well-designed and simple to operate; the laser is quick to acquire and visible for quite some distance, and the light provides low-level illumination where needed. Initial impressions are quite favorable based on handling and operating the unit; field-testing will ideally be performed soon (assuming the range thaws sometime in the near future).

The LaserMax Colt CGL Foregrip Laser gets a thumbs up so far, with final verdict pending - all indications are good, though.

That is all.

Obligatory FTC disclaimer: LaserMax has provided the Colt CGL Foregrip laser and several other laser sights to the writer of this review.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir! Do you not realize how dangerous that black rifle is? I mean it could hurt someone!!
All by itself! Couldn't it?
I mean thats what the media tells me....
Now that sounds just like something I should have...how to explain it to the wife?...maybe have the youngest use his special "Mom can I have a" powers..yeah that'll work!! As long as he leavs out the "Dad says" stuff...

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

Another thing to consider re: the light. When you're awakened at 3am by an intruder, your eyes are well settled into "night mode", and it doesn't take a lot of light to provide sufficient visibility. It also doesn't take a lot of light to be painful.

My nightstand flashlight is a little keychain light that runs one white LED on one AAA battery, for exactly that reason. If I were to use a 10,000 lumen Wonderlight (tm) like I've seen some people recommend, I would incapacitate myself (and leave myself vulnerable) momentarily the when I turned it on. Even the little light I use can be uncomfortably bright in that situation.

Wally said...

Nothing says loving like performing lasik on a zombie prior to dropping them :-)

Is that a red laser? Appears purple in the pic. Cant wait to hear how it performs - as well as the *other* laser straddling the top of that rifle!