Monday, June 28, 2010

Off to Camp...

So this morning starts the kids' summer camp. The camp is held at the elementary school they both attend; the folks that run it are mostly school staff they already know, with a mixture of high school and college kids helping out as counselors. This is TheBoy's third year at the camp and BabyGirl G.'s second; they're eligible to go when they are starting first grade (TheBoy's first year of eligibility was when Mrs. G. was part-time second shift). We were nervous that they might protest going to this camp, given that it's at their school and this is summer vacation after all, but they get a kick out of playing video games in the library and eating their lunch in the gym...

Getting all their gear ready last night, we started packing their old school bags with the items they'll need: spare change of clothes, bathing suit, sunscreen, etc. One of the things on the list is a beach towel - they do some water play with sprinklers, etc. and the kids need towels to dry off, right? Well, last year we stuffed one of TheBoy's old bath towels into his bag and didn't think anything of it - this year, he informs us that he cannot have a "Spiderman" towel because the kids all teased him last year because "Spiderman" is for babies. No, I don't know where it comes from...

It was amusing, a little sad, and comical all at the same time. It was obvious that this was a Matter Of Some Significance to TheBoy, as he was quite insistent that he not take the Spiderman towel to summer camp. I extracted the reason ("They made fun of me!") and realized that it was only a matter of time before they outgrew the superhero/kids stuff; I was hoping it would be just a little longer. I guess I'm still coming to grips with the idea that my kids - and their friends - are growing older.

I just didn't think I'd have to worry about him getting teased over a towel quite this soon...

That is all.

2 comments:

Lissa said...

You need to get him a 42 towel. Then everyone will say, "There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."

Ross said...

I've got a Sorcerer Mickey towel I could let TheBoy have instead... *evil grin*