Friday, July 23, 2010

Be Careful Out There...

Sebastian has a story about a guy at a public shooting range who was murdered for his rifle.

Here's the gun that was taken:
Police are still looking for the shooter. Meantime they’re asking firearms dealers to check their inventory to see if they may have a custom built AR-15 type semi-automatic rifle with a Lewis Machine Company model Defender 2000 lower receiver equipped with a 30 HRT upper receiver and a Yankee Hill Machine Company Phantom model 308 caliber silencer.

Sounds like a nice rig. Not worth riding the lightning over, mind you... It appears from the autopsy that the proper owner of the rifle was murdered from a distance - not only is the person who did this a murderer and a thief, but he's also a coward. Let's hope he dies a coward's death.

The range where this happened is no stranger to crime, either:
On May 21st, North Middleton Township Police say they another firearm was reported stolen from that same shooting range, where Getgen was killed. It was a 308 caliber Remington 700 tactical rifle.

If you're going to an open, public range, use the buddy system. It could quite literally save your life. Even those of us who shoot at private clubs can't let our guards down - I know folks at my club are a little lax when it comes to locking the gate behind them. Also, there's very little to stop someone from walking around the gate, and the club doesn't see a lot of use during the work week - someone could very easily follow a single vehicle in and see what happens. I've had folks drive in unannounced because of someone leaving the gate open - fortunately we have a long dirt driveway and it's not hard to hear someone coming, so I was well-aware of their presence before they could see me (we have a covered area for the pistol range).

It's a shame that we have to even think about this, but better to be safe at the range in all aspects...

That is all.

9 comments:

TOTWTYTR said...

Carry a side arm. Which might not have helped in this, but that's not a reason not do so.

When I go to the range I always have a loaded side arm on me. I'm never, ever, in the position of having all of my firearms empty or field stripped at the same time.

We have a locked gate rule, but it's often ignored. Which is too bad.

Sevesteen said...

My club officially bans concealed carry, with the stupid idea that it is safer to unload your carry gun in the parking lot than to carry it at least until you have a proper backstop.

We have to re-do range safety training this year--I'm going to ask the range officer if there is a good reason for that, or if it is a leftover from before Ohio had CCW.

PISSED said...

WOW... thats a pretty scary situation. The perp. could have been standing there watching the guy shoot the gun, then walked away a far distance, checked the surroundings then just shot and killed him.

I don't know if there is much you can do to protect from that. If/when they catch him he should get the death penalty no questions.

I wonder were that gun will end up?

Wally said...

A few years back, there was a big trend in FL for BGs to follow someone home from the range and rob them as they pulled into their driveway. Never shoot those last couple of magainzes, you may need them sooner than later.

We have a useless gate at our range. One gate, and a few thousand yards of wooded perimiter that anyone could walk through.

Old NFO said...

TOTW has it right... I carry concealed even on the range, including at the NRA range and our private range.

DaddyBear said...

I was thinking about this kind of situation the last time I took my daughter to the range. We were the only ones there for the most part,and it's pretty remote. Stuff like this is why I always carry when I'm on the range. I'm out and about with some of the more expensive and easily fenced items I own, so why not have the ability to protect myself?

Crucis said...

I've never really thought about it but I've always carried at my range. It's a private gun club and only members have keys. But when there are more than one shooter present, it's not uncommon for the front gate to be unlocked.

I like going to the range in the evening. It's cooler and there are few, if any, folks present. But I'll still be armed.

Butch Cassidy said...

Some people have shaken their heads at me for keeping an un-fired, holstered, ready-to-go sidearm on me at the range. I even park my vehicle so that someone back at the firing line can't use it for cover while I go downrange (parking right behind the firing line). Strangers at the range always stay in sight, and I am not wearing ears or firing until I know what they are doing and aren't in position to easily get me.

Most of this is left-over from when I shot alone often. I still do it now that I always bring a friend to the range. The company is nice, adds a level of competition, and someone is watching my back.

I still go alone at times, I may stop doing that.

Won't save me from a bushwhacking, but it is all I can do. Nice to know that I am not the only one.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Might want to tell your club to get some "driveway alerts" and put them on your access road. Little camo paint, put the alarm on the wall of the range shed, might reduce the surprise factor.