Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Drought Continues...

I thought my long drought had come to an end earlier this week. I had been idly perusing the local gun board's classifieds, and came across a real gem: A Smith & Wesson model 64-1. It's a 4" barrel .38 Special in stainless with fixed sights (and a horrid set of plastic grips); nothing terribly special about it except that it's a dead ringer for the model 65 my dad carried as a MA state cop (the 65 is a .357 Magnum, that's the only difference as far as I can tell).

Sadly, the good price was a little too good, and by the time I'd gotten permission told the Mrs. about it, it was gone. So now I'm in a bad place - I've gotten the green light on a new purchase, I have the money in hand, and there's no gun to be bought. This usually results in Jay making very poor impulse buy decisions... It's also brought a very serious case of the Igottahaveits to the forefront of my mind - I've already had the thrill of the chase as I find the perfect gun, only to have it whipped out from under me...

So I'm back on the prowl for another firearm. This has been an exceedingly lean year - the past few years I'd been averaging a new (to me; I almost never buy new) firearm every couple of months. This year, I picked up the 10/22 in early May as a late BAG Day acquisition and then... Nothing. This is very unusual for me, and I blame the ammo shortage/price increase - when feeding costs go through the roof, it's hard to justify another mouth to feed...

Now, though, I've got my heart set on a S&W 64 or 65. The more I thought about it, the better it sounded - I have my grandfather's Colt he carried as a town cop; why not a stand-in for the MA State Police-issued model 65 that dad carried as a statie? It was the first firearm I ever touched - dad made sure I knew how to load and unload it and check to make certain it was unloaded - at a very early age (I think I was 4 or 5). It'd be a hoot to have something similar to dad's duty gun to add to the collection.

*Sigh* I guess the chase is back on...

That is all.

7 comments:

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

We're your friends, Jay. We're here for you in this time of tribulation.

If you are worried you'll do something rash I can hold that money for you...

Bob said...

Don't know if you're allowed to buy online in MA, but if you are, J&G Sales has a good selection of 64's for sale, most of them cop turn-in guns.

lordjim said...

Summit Gun Broker has a 64 for a decent price. Not sure if you can get that to Mass but you should be able to find out.

Jay G said...

Thanks guys, but because of MA's tough gun laws, I can't buy a used S&W 64 from out of state.

They're not "safe" enough for me to own...

HATERAGEHATERAGEHATERAGE

zeeke42 said...

Why not? The 64 is on the AFR.

Anonymous said...

Well that sucks.
But I have been looking at the J&G S & W Model 64's.
I feel it is time to add a S and W to my meager collection.
I like revolvers, Enjoy shooting my Gp 100 more then any other gun and just feel I need a S & W!
Plus .38 is what I have begun my reloading adventures with.
So I obviously need a Model 64 !
Right?
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/smith-wesson/revolver/p/smith-wesson-model-64-ny1-38spl%2C-4inch%2C-vapor-hone-finish%2C-very-good-plus-condition/cPath/16_211_431/products_id/3595

Heath J said...

What's the market price for those there?