Thursday, July 8, 2010

Exercise Blues...

Borepatch has 'em. I left a quick comment with a couple suggestions, but wanted to expand a bit. I've noticed the same thing - I started exercising regularly in January 2007, working out every single day either on the treadmill, stationary bike, walking, jogging, etc. Every single day. Over the years I've refined that to Monday through Friday, then Monday through Thursday. It gets harder and harder to drag my carcass out of bed to get over to the gym or out on the road.

In some ways, I'm a victim of my own success. I've been at my goal weight for over three years now; I've been off my blood pressure medication for even longer. Every check-up at the doctor's has been the same - blood pressure fine, weight stable, keep up the good work. What I'm finding is that maintaining is a lot harder than achieving - it's nowhere near as gratifying to do all this work just to sustain parity than it is to continuously improve. I don't know specifically about Borepatch's situation, but I know that I'm losing motivation the longer I stay at my goal.

A commenter suggested a workout partner, and this is a fabulous idea as long as the two of you are relatively evenly matched in the physical exertion department. If you choose a partner more active than yourself, you run the risk of over-exerting yourself and pulling muscles, etc. Obviously, a partner with a lower activity level isn't going to inspire you to push your limits; the key is to find someone at or near your level and develop a friendly "competition" between the two. Having a workout partner does two things: it makes the workout less monotonous, and it encourages you to participate on a regular basis - you don't want to let the other person down.

This was one of the key elements I used when starting to lose the weight, actually - in our immediate family, we had several other family members who wanted to lose weight as well, and we started the "pound a week" club. The goal being to lose, obviously, one pound every week; we would e-mail tallies at the end of each week to see who the "biggest loser" was for the week. Over time, folks dropped out one-by-one, until eventually I was the last loser standing. Fortunately for me, by that time I'd already gotten into a groove where I was competing against myself and continued the weight loss.

Competing against yourself is another method of keeping up the exercise, actually. I do cardio in the mornings and weight-training in the evenings. I do ~ 2 miles on the treadmill and ~ 6 miles on the stationary bike every morning, and 50 pushups, 50 situps, and 5 sets of 10 curls or butterflies with free weights in the evening. I've found that slowly and steadily increasing the speed on the treadmill, or the RPMs on the bike, or adding weight to the curls has helped to keep me focused on the exercise; although lately I do seem to have hit somewhat of a plateau.

What I'd like to do now is introduce more free weights to the routine where I lift 2-3 days a week and do cardio 2 days a week to keep up the heart rate and keep the blood pressure in check. This is an equipment - and therefore space - consideration; I need a weight bench of some sort at a minimum as well as a full complement of weights, bars, etc. for this next level. Another idea that has broad G. family appeal is a heavy bag of some sort - Mrs. G. can use it for kickboxing; TheBoy and BabyGirl G. can use it for karate; and I can use it for cardio (and anger management *g*). The biggest problem with a heavy bag is where to put it; we could either get a freestanding unit like they have at the dojo, which would require ~ 10' diameter circle or so and full ceiling height; or we could get a bag that hangs from the ceiling itself, which means basement (which is rather crowded).

Those of you who exercise regularly, please share your tips for remaining motivated for both Borepatch and myself...

That is all.

12 comments:

Midwest Chick said...

One thing that I noticed is that when I'm PAYING for it--a class or something, I'm more likely to haul it up and go. It's sad, but true. Otherwise, work around the house--stacking wood, etc. substitutes for other workout time.

B said...

if ya do the bag from a floor joist or whatever in your basement, use a screen door spring to isolate the bag from the hook in the joist, and use a bit of soft rubber hose over the hook. It will keep the transmitted shock (and therefore the noise) down.

chrisinMA said...

long time first timer...im a younger fella but ive been training martial arts and working out regularly for about 16 years and i know exactly how it feels to see progress slow or stall. the biggest thing that keeps me motivated is always trying to reach my best. i dont need to be the best i just always keep pushing (increasing distance/speed/weight, adding new exercises, etc). if i can do x i bet i can do x+1. that way youre always moving forward

Lissa said...

As I told Borepatch -- try the Charity Challenge! We started it back in April; this is the first week I'm really struggling to hit our goal.

Borepatch said...

It was a lot easier ten years ago ...

Jay G said...

Think about how much harder it will be in another 10 years, though...

Anonymous said...

After my bike wreck, when I wasn't smoking (and especially once I could walk again, & was doing physical therapy), I didn't need my Diovan (BP meds). Of course, now I'm smoking again, so I'm back on the Diovan. It's worth the trade to me.
My main problem at the moment is that it's too damned hot to work out. It's okay in fall, winter, & spring, but in summer, even with the a/c on, this trailer is an oven, & I just don't have the motivation. It's 98 today, with typical TN humidity, & I'm sweating while typing this, at the kitchen table.

David said...

Damn. My response gorged itself and ended up post-size. Gluttony!

John said...

Right now, this is my routine:

Thursday:
7 sets of push ups to failure

Friday:
5 sets of lat pull downs
3 sets of dumbbell curls
2 sets of one-armed rows

Saturday:
3 sets shoulder shrugs
3 sets lateral raises

Sunday:
run 3.7 miles at 8 MPH, increasing 0.1 miles each week

Monday:
5 sets of sit ups

I find that setting incremental, weekly goals helps. I might insist "I WILL do two extra push ups per set this time" or "I WILL increase my distance on the treadmill this day."

My best motivator is my wife's response to my efforts.

Michael said...

I have been one of your readers for a couple of years. I too was gravitationally challenged and excercised my way into better shape. I lost 100 lbs.

One of the things, that I did to keep the motivation was to become certified to teach at gyms. There were two main benefits to me. One, free gym memberships. That is always cool. But, the best advantage was - I had to maintain, or I wouldn't feel good leading others.

Getting in front of people and leading them - kept me going. Who wants a fat fitness instructor.

And it doesn't have to be at the gym. Martial arts, tactical courses...there are many ways for you to exercise, keep motivated and help others.

I experienced the same joy that you have talked about when you take a newbie to the range.

zeeke42 said...

Full body free weight workouts are awesome. I've been slacking lately, but for a while, increasing the weight each time was a huge motivator. I highly recommend Mark Rippetoe's book "Starting Strength".

Jon said...

I have a heavy bag in the fron room, along with a pullup/dip station, incline bench and rack of dumbells, and a couple of medicine balls. Need to pick up some kettlebells and I think we'll be set.

It's much easier to exercise when I don't have to try and get tout to the gym every day.