Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hate Headlines Like These...

Chicago police officer killed in gun battle with suspect
(CNN) -- A Chicago police officer was shot and killed Wednesday afternoon during a struggle with a suspect in a police facility parking lot, police said

The officer was walking to his vehicle in the parking lot at 61st and Racine on the city's South Side, after completing a shift with the department's Operation to Protect Youth Program, when he encountered the offender, said James Jackson, assistant superintendent of police operations.

"The 24-year-old suspect disarmed the police officer and then shot him," Jackson said at a news conference Wednesday night.

When I saw the teaser link, it just said officer shot, not killed. I'll be honest - my first thought was posting this as a "oh, good thing they ban guns in Chicago" post. Seeing the circumstances - especially that an officer was killed - I'll refrain from that angle of course. Instead, I'm going to have to disagree with my good friend Robb Allen - this is a case where the sumbitch needs killin'. If they're not going to allow the dead cop's friends and family to shoot this fucker dead, then he had damn well better ride the lightning.

Some people need killing. He's one of them.

Think about that mindset. Think about what kind of predator that young man is. He walked up to a cop, took the cop's gun, and shot the officer dead. At the point where he pulled the trigger, he was in control - he had the cop's gun, it's not like the cop was going to stop him at that point. So he shoots the guy at point blank range, either woefully ignorant of what the gunshot would entail (cops coming to the sound) or just not caring. That's a cold-blooded killer, and I don't want him wasting my precious oxygen. Die motherfucker. Preferably painfully.

Stories like this affirm my decision to not follow my father and grandfather into law enforcement. I cannot honestly say that I wouldn't have just shot this piece of shit down like the diseased animal he is had I come upon him. There is quite simply no reason to allow this vermin to continue living, but since he was taken alive, he'll be given three meals a day, a roof over his head, and clothes on his back for the rest of his life. All on my tax dollars. No. To hell with that. Here's a 12 gauge slug. Put it through his melon. Done.

Barring that, strap him into the chair and let the juice flow - ideally live on TV.

That is all.

11 comments:

wolfwalker said...

He walked up to a cop, took the cop's gun, and shot the officer dead.

Wait a minute. How the friggin' hell did the goblin get hold of the officer's gun?

Scott McCray said...

@wolfwalker - my thoughts as well...trying to wrap my head around how that happened.

Jay, I agree - he should be history.
My condolences to his family and brother and sister officers.

Jay G said...

The story is *awfully* thin on specifics, so anything I can offer is pure speculation on my part.

I'd guess that the officer was at the end of his shift and had let his guard down somewhat. He's tired, sore, and just wants to get home. This punk probably came out of nowhere, ran up and started grabbing, and the 2-3 seconds of "what the hell is going on here" was enough for the punk to get the gun.

Cops aren't superhuman. At the end of a long, hot day we are all at less than 100%, and in this poor guy's case it proved to be fatal.

What it does show, though, is that there is ABSOLUTELY no way you can prevent the bad guys from getting guns. Even if we had a 100% ban on private ownership of firearms, we're still going to arm the police - in which case, these stories will become more frequent.

It's tough. I recently posted a story from here in MA where I felt that a police officer had gone overboard in apprehending a suspect. I still feel his actions were not 100% justified - yet I find myself thinking that the way to prevent thugs from jumping cops is to make sure the cops are the baddest asses in the neighborhood.

*NEITHER* is an appealing situation.

You don't want the cops thinking they've got carte blanche to crack skulls. That's just asking for a jackbooted thugocracy right there, where the cops rule with impunity and mete out punishment as they see fit on their terms. That will lead, ultimately, to more dead cops - if you're gonna get a beating, why not take the SOB out first?

But we cannot function as a society if thugs think they can jump a cop, steal his gun, and kill him in cold blood just to facilitate a strongarm robbery. We need to make the punishment so draconian that they won't dare.

I don't think we need the electric chair for this, though.

I think we might need electric bleachers...

Robb Allen said...

Don't get me wrong, thugs like this are better off dead. At this point, it appears pretty cut and dried as far as guilt goes and the death penalty is called for.

wolfwalker said...

I don't buy it, Jay. I don't know what standard equipment is for a MA cop, but I recall that many police departments have safety devices on their issue holsters, precisely to guard against cases like this where a perp grabs a cop's gun and uses it against him. Some of those devices are so elaborate that the cops complain about how much it slows down their draw in a SHTF situation. Bottom line is, "2-3 seconds of WTF" shouldn't have been enough. The cop must have been really off his game, or the perp knew exactly what he was doing. Or both. Or something else happened, and the cop did draw the gun himself before the perp took it.

Jay G said...

Robb,

I understand. I share much of your concern, believe me. I'm just a firm believer that, in cases where the guilt of the goblin is not in question, the sentence should be carried out swiftly...

Wolfwalker,

I've heard stories of jailhouse "seminars" on how to defeat retention holsters. My only experience with MA holsters is woefully out of date (like by 30+ years); plus this was in Chicago. No telling what the officer may or may not have had for gear.

Anonymous said...

This is suxage and what bugs me is how can CNN call it a "gun battle."
Wouldn't Gun "Battle" imply both parties armed and firing?
If the officer is disarmed. Then he just became a victim.

As for removing an officers weapon from a retention holster. It can be done. I once wrestled with a 13 yo we were getting ready to transport for a psych eval when he grabbed the deputy's sidearm which was holstered. (We were in a school parking lot)Kid partially drew it when I grabbed his wrist and squeezed as hard as I could. The Deputy a smallish gal, got away with gun(ever see someone jump 30 feet backwards!?!?!) and it was in her hand at that point. She had to tell me to let go of the kid's arm at that point as hand was turning purple and he was crying. And I do believe I was yelling at him!

I agree with Jay that this should be a DEAD goblin!

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

Forget prison classes, the videos are online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybvYn2yqwYc

That particular holster is one I've seen one of our local officers wearing recently, and that's a video from the manufacturer. I'm sure there are other videos out there, official and unofficial, for other holsters.

I'm also going to point this video out to that particular officer the next time I see her. She stated flat out at a training session (on how to approach an injured officer and remove their equipment to treat them) once that she would never show a non-police officer how to remove a officer's weapon.

Anonymous said...

Big problem with that thinking, Jay. The story is from the cops, filtered through CNN. The actual events might have a passing resemblance to the story. Would you be surprised to learn that any of the facts in the story were wrong? A good chance the murderer used his own gun and stole the cop's gun after; a chance the cop knew the guy; a chance the cop had a heart attack or seizure and got jumped. Then there is the chance that the guy they caught isn't the murderer.

There's a chance he acted in self-defense. If that is the case, no reasonable person would expect that story to be told honestly. The Chicago PD wouldn't tell the truth in that case, and CNN certainly wouldn't bother to verify any aspect of the story.

God bless the officer and his family.

Kevin H. said...

Jay, to hell with the 12ga. Send him here to Washington State, we still string these types up to dangle.
What's that saying? "A short drop with a quick stop"?

Gudis said...

Sorry Jay, we don't put people to death in IL at the moment, George Ryan issued a moratorium on the death penalty in the state in 2000.