Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Picture Is Worth...

Quite a bit of explaining, actually... After my "1911s for Dummies" post last week where I went over the different sizes of 1911s, I realized that it would be a worthwhile endeavor to put up a post that calls out the basic parts of a 1911. There are lots of upgrades, repairs, and aesthetic changes that can be made to a 1911 with a minimum of fitting, fuss, or special skill needed, and entire companies have evolved around supplying said items to a hungry market. I figure in this case I'll let the pictures do the talking, one of the internals, one of the externals.

Internals

Externals

(Sorry about the amateur editing there. It was the best I could do on short notice...)

I've listed the basic parts of the 1911; these are the parts that one comes in contact with when either shooting the firearm (externals) or cleaning the firearm after a fun-filled outing at the range. I've limited it to a field strip of the 1911, as I've been shooting 1911s for 16 years now and never needed to perform a full detail strip. These parts are the ones that the casual 1911 shooter is likely to want or need to replace, and I figured it was a good place to start.

Next up: 1911 chamberings - the wonderful and wacky world of calibers 1911s can and have been chambered in...

That is all.

2 comments:

TOTWTYTR said...

I always have to wonder, and it drives the 1911 fan bois crazy, is if the 1911 is such a great gun why do Brownells and MidwayUSA have 100,000 parts for them?

You can upgrade just about everything on the gun, but I just don't get the attraction.

Jay G said...

It's like Legos™ for grownups my friend.

Just like the AR-15 or the 10/22, there are a lot of parts available that your average guy can purchase and install - you don't have to have decades of gunsmithing experience to put in a new trigger or hammer, frex.

Besides, the deep dark secret among 1911 owners is that we like playing dress-up with the grips...

Of course, that might just be me... ;)