Tuesday, August 17, 2010

All My Gunnie Friends...

...are packing up and heading south.

First it was Lissa. Now it's Borepatch who's pulling up stakes and heading for sunnier climes. Oh, sure, I'm certain that part of the move is due to sentimental reasons ("moving back south"); however it can't hurt that wherever he winds up will have better (read: more reasonable) gun laws than MA. More than likely he'll wind up in a state where they don't hand out licenses and in-state tuition to illegal aliens, where the answer to crime committed with guns is not to limit the law-abiding to one gun a month; where self-help is not discouraged; where taxes are not so high that even millionaires have to work around taxation.

Lissa and Borepatch's stories are hardly unique; Massachusetts has been hemorrhaging residents so badly we're in danger of losing a seat in Congress. I know easily a dozen folks (or more) who have left MA for NH, ME, or even RI in the past five years; countless others would leave if not for work or familial reasons. When you create a climate openly hostile to those who want to work hard, protect what they have, and live their lives with minimal intrusion by the government, it's not unrealistic to expect that folks are going to get out of Dodge.

Borepatch and Lissa, I'll be sorry to see you go but happy to see you get out of Massachusetts. I'll watch with barely-contained envy as you leave the state behind, settling in a state where you don't have to jump through hoops just to own a firearm; where you aren't penalized for not having health insurance; where schools don't openly ban the pledge of allegiance. Enjoy your new life in a state that trusts you to act like a grown-up rather than an unruly child to be watched at all times and fussed over, incapable of even the slightest independent thought.

And save some real estate for me, for I shall be joining you someday.

That is all.

15 comments:

Andrew said...

I know that this will leave me blue-faced, but why do you stay again? I know the whole family/wife thing, but really...why?

Lissa said...

Don't forget the part about .22 brass not making you a felon :)

We'll miss you for sure, Jay, but I'll be back to visit! And I expect to see you next time you visit The Mouse!

mopar said...

I plan on heading north, not south in 4yrs or so. The kid will be 18 then (holy @#$%!). The "live free or die" state is where i want to be!

JD said...

Someday I will get out of this state. Head south and enjoy life! Wish I was going too. . .

George said...

Come on down, Jay!

Robb Allen said...

I'll go for the blue face as well.

Jay, you KNOW I'd love to call you a neighbor.

Borepatch said...

Jay, thanks.

I'm not sure if you've heard of the Kennisaw, GA city ordinance that requires all heads of households to have a gun and ammunition for it.

Scott McCray said...

Hey, Jay - come on down! I'm actually gonna head north some day soon. Calm down - just one state up - back home to Virginia! Land is cheap and the gun laws are much better...just sayin'.

Wally said...

I always have a few extra rooms to support escapeed folk.

But the plus side - more sources for preban mags as folks vacate.

Mopar said...

BP: I dunno about Jay, but I've got friends in the area, including one who's office is in Kennesaw, so I know all about it.


Sec. 34-21. - Heads of households to maintain firearms.

(a)In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.

(b)Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

Stretch said...

Come south of the Potomac. We may make fun of your accent but be more than happy to share our ammo.

Jake (formerly Riposte3) said...

C'mon Jay, you know you want to. All your friends are doing it. Your first hit's fre- er, I mean, um...

We've got room here in Blacksburg, the gun laws are decent, and I bet real estate prices are better than in MA, even if the university pushes them to almost double the surrounding areas. A 10 minute drive from town puts you in areas with great vistas and neighbors that are close enough to be neighbors but far enough to allow privacy.

bluesun said...

Eh. It's all the East Coast to me. Come West, young man, to Montana, Idaho, or Wyoming!

Bubblehead Les. said...

If anyones going North, then head to the REAL NORTH, ALASKA! "North to Alaska, you know the Rush is on.." In all Seriousness, the same crappy conditions are happening in Ohio, yet we still have decent CCW, Castle Doctrine, buy what you can afford Gun Shows, etc. Yet we'll still lose at least one Seat, maybe 2 (if the Census is halfway Honest). Of course, the last Mayor of Cleveland was rewarded for driving the city into the Ground by getting a Professorship at the Kennedy School of Government. Only Free Housing, Free Health Care, Free Food Stamps, 99 week unemployment type Proles allowed to Vote in the Big Cities, you know.

Anonymous said...

Add me to the list of folks heading south. If my job comes through, wife and I will vacate Maryland for the Florida Panhandle.