Thursday, August 12, 2010

Furniture Bleg...

No, I'm not looking for a new sofa. I'm looking for something to upgrade this:


Basically, I'm looking for a new stock and forend grip. Since MA has the AWB (fuck you Mitt Romney), I can't put on a collapsible stock or an underfolder (HATE RAGE), so I'm thinking of something like the ACE Skeleton stock like I have on my Bushmaster. It's an inexpensive but comfortable stock that looks a heck of a lot better than the existing "wood" (but I damn with faint praise here).

For the forend, I'm thinking of a UTG railed forend also like on the Bushmaster. I've been very impressed with the quality of the UTG forend on my AR-15, with both the LaserLyte green carbine laser and the Colt CGL Foregrip laser mounted. It's been rock-solid for both the grip and the lasers, with about a thousand rounds through it with no appreciable loosening or movement for the attached accessories.

The goal is to get the AK set up as a short range defensive arm, something set up for 25-50 yards. A decent 2X red dot sight on the forend rail, a pistol grip underneath, and a no-nonsense aluminum stock and it should be pretty well done, needing little more than a bunch more pre-ban magazines and a pallet or two of ammo.

Any recommendations for stocks or forends for AK-type rifles?

That is all.

11 comments:

Brad_in_IL said...

needing little more than a bunch more pre-ban magazines and a pallet or two of ammo

Why stop there??

- Brad

Mopar said...

Hey, at least you can OWN an AK47 style rifle. I can't even have one here, not matter what the stock or ammo capacity. It's just too goshdarn scary.

Bräuista said...

Am I missing something? The wood on that gun is gorgeous . . . yes, I'm sure you want evil black . . .

Weer'd Beard said...

Your wood furniture looks pretty good to me. Dibs on it if you want to offload it!

Jay G said...

Brad,

Fair enough. Three pallets. :D

Mopar,

For real? Not even "pre-ban"??? Dude, that sucks.

If you come across any pre-ban magazines send 'em my way...

Cher,

Yes, I want black. Aesthetically, it disturbs me that I have the black pistol grip (to comply with 922 regs) but wood furniture.

Plus the wood foregrip interferes with the 40 rounders...

Weerd,

You got first dibs. I'm sure we can work something out... :)

Stretch said...

"defensive arm, something set up for 25-50 yards"
All but the worst AKs will print a full mag on human size targets at 150 yds. At the 25-50 yd. range you envision you just need a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine. Of course you'll need an M-1 Carbine to go with it ...

w/v = "sapper" One who installs your 10-30 yard defensive measures a.k.a. claymore mines.

AK Matt said...

I think with the ACE you are going to have to get the stock adapter which will run the price up some

If you go for the railed handguard try to see if you can get your hands on the new one that I've blogged about at my little AK Blog:
http://ak47talk.blogspot.com/2010/08/new-ak-rail-not-exactly-choate.html
http://ak47talk.blogspot.com/2010/07/choate-railed-handguards.html If you are interested in it let me know, I have a lot more info I could email you.

I really like 2x red dots myself and I'm looking forward to that new rail to see if I'm going to run an 2x or a micro on it.

The Ultimak is honestly a great solution though because with a offset flashlight mount you can still have a 1/3 co-witnessed 1x red dot and a light. But it wouldn't allow you to use the laser grip. However, grips can play havoc with AK mag loading, that's why your wood one has that weird forward curve.

Anonymous said...

Everything you want is available from Ultimak.

Norm.

Joel said...

Is rifle. Is not supposed to be pretty.

Mopar said...

Jay, the only way you can have a pre-ban AK-47 type firearm in CT is if you owned it pre-ban AND registered it in CT when the ban was enacted. STOOPID AWB!
Ya know, there's a blog post for ya: STOOPID GUN RESTRICTIONS. CT has a ton I can fill ya in on.

Buddy said...

Mine is set up with a Tapco polymer stock and UTG railed forend. Tapco sells it in black... mine is green cause that's what I finished the AK in. Built mine on a Romanian parts kit several years ago. I think I still have the Choate I originally set it up with... you can have it if you want it! I first tried the folding stock Tapco sells, I still have it, but I know you can't use it, otherwise I would pass it along, also. The UTG unit seems to be well made and is rock solid, inexpensive, too. Just my $.02 worth!