Monday, September 20, 2010

Already?

So, the other day while driving TheBoy home from soccer practice, he asked THE question. He's 9 (and a half, he'll quickly tell you; it's one of those inexplicable phenomenon whereby young folks actually want to be older...); I hadn't planned on having THAT talk for another few years. Given that my own "talk" with Dad G. was a little more, err, pragmatic than anything else (I believe his exact words were "You knock her up, you own her"), I'm kind of at a loss as to how I should proceed.

I punted at the time, using a semantic loophole - he asked "How does a baby grow inside a woman's belly" rather than "where do babies come from" - getting into a precise biochemical analysis of the cell division, mitochondrial exchange, and subsequent protein folding involved in the growth of an embryo. Decades-old Developmental Biology textbooks flittered in front of my mind's eye as I searched for a technically accurate but meaningless answer to his question. It's not that I didn't want to answer, or thought he's not old enough - it's that I wanted to make sure Mrs. G. and I were on the same page as far as what kind of information to give him (hint: NOT any of the links Stingray or Weerdbeard post).

*sigh*

I hadn't planned on having this discussion for a few years. I imagined that I'd take him aside, all Father Knows Best-like once his voice started changing and explain to him how he was turning into a man and all that. Usually I'm smoking a pipe in this sequence, but that's just me. I figured that 13, maybe 14 was a good age to start gently introducing concepts related to sexuality, giving just the right mixture of knowledge and warning to sate his curiosity but leave him cautious.

I might as well try to design a perpetual motion device. While blindfolded, hopping on one leg, and humming "Ride of the Valkyries".

I suppose I should have known better when he started talking about girls at school who were "hotties" and ones that were "just friends." A more observant person would have seen the transition from video game-themed T-shirts to faddish threads and realized that, despite however stunted I may have been at his age, he's getting very close to being ready for THE talk. In two years he'll be finishing elementary school and going off to Junior High Middle School, years I remember only when the shock treatments have been spaced too far apart. The talk should take place before then, I'm thinking, not so much to impart information (he does have access to the internet, after all) but to let him know, as dorky as Dad is, he's willing to answer questions and provide straight talk.

Or maybe I need to look into a good military school. That's always an option.

That is all.

19 comments:

Butch Cassidy said...

Don't forget to sip from a freshly mixed highball in your other hand as you puff the pipe. Just don't wear a silk bath-robe, wouldn't want to come across as Hugh Hefner.

Dragon said...

+1 for the Military School idea...

PISSED said...

Personally, I would ask him what he has already heard from his peers...
Make sure you have a few beers handy :)

Julie said...

and i've been worrying that my girls (7 & 9) haven't asked anything ... not sure what i'ld say if they do.

Brad_in_IL said...

Jay,

My own progeny will be entering double digits exactly two weeks from today . . . . I'm terrified. I think I'll let my wife have first dibs - make it a mother / daughter thing.

- Brad

Lissa said...

Tell him about the stork :)

Bob S. said...

Just a note of warning:

What research has supported, however, is the fact that some teens that aren’t having intercourse are having oral sex (about a third to be exact). When asked why a teen has engaged in oral sex but not intercourse, these are some of the common answers they gave: because of their religion/morals, to avoid pregnancy, to avoid STDs, because they haven’t met the right partner, and because it wasn’t the right time (The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy 2005). Quite simply, oral sex doesn’t matter to teens as much as intercourse. The red flags this information raises are (1) that teens may not know they can get STDs from oral sex, and (2) that some don’t see oral sex as a big deal (it’s okay with God, they can do it with Mr. or Ms. Wrong, and they don’t have to be as emotionally prepared).

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/36021541

RW said...

My little girl turned 13 last month. [sigh] Stuff like this now weighs on my mind a lot more than in the past.

What PISSED said; chances are, he's heard most things already.

PISSED said...

BOB S

Right or wrong.. we can thank Bill clinton for that ;)

Midwest Chick said...

Just don't start with something like "when a girl has a blue dress on" or "it depends upon what the definition of 'is' is" and I think you'll be okay.

I second Butch's comment about avoiding the silk bathrobe for the talk as well, and like the idea about the pipe and the highball if he decides to tell you what he already knows. You'll need them.

Aaron said...

Not to go against the grain too much, or to sound as if I am telling you how to teach your child, but now is likely the perfect time. Chances are, he has already heard things from friends, seen things on TV, and developed his own misconceptions.
A straight talk about sex is going to be embarrassing, but you could truly save your kid by giving him enough info. It's likely that he will have a sex ed class before he leaves elementary school anyways. Tell him now. Teach him abstinence but also about STD's and safe sex. Believe me, there's more going on amongst middle schoolers than you would care to know, it's best you prepare him now. Just my two cents.

And yeah, anything Stingray posts would be considered "advanced materials" lol

ZerCool said...

A straight talk about sex is going to be embarrassing

Yup - but if you can, try hard NOT to let it show.

Obviously, this won't be a technical talk quite yet, but that won't be far down the road.

Book recommendation: "What's Happening to my Body? Book for Boys". Excellent resource - for both of you.

Sabra said...

You made it to nine without having to explain where babies come from? Lucky bastard.

I pushed it off with technicalities too, although apparently (I only vaguely recall this) there were also sperm & egg drawings. And it's only gotten worse with me being pregnant.

Between A Child is Born (which I wholeheartedly recommend; BabyGirl G at least will love it) and my Human Sexuality textbook, knowledge is growing in leaps and bounds around here. My girls plainly aren't asking about the mechanics, for which I am grateful, but I dread navigating the maze of emotions.

DixieLaurel said...

My poor mom--I hit her with "how can I be a part of Daddy when I came out of you" at 8 years old. She sat on the floor with me and explained EVERYTHING. I have always appreciated her honesty.

Weer'd Beard said...

Just set him in front of the laptop and load up efukt.com. Let him know you'll be watching TV in the other room if he has any questions.

Mark Alger said...

Just for some comic relief, you should check out last week's ep of Parenthood, in which the lady corporate lawyer's precocious daughter asks THE QUESTION in a restaurant and Will Not Be Denied.

Hill. Lair. Ee. Us.

M

Mark Alger said...

Correction from my lovely wife: the scene happened at a playground, with daughter promptly announcing to all an sundry that "Babies come from vag***s!"

Sabra said...

My girls know that babies come out of vaginae. They don't know what else they're for, but they know babies come out of 'em.

Ian Argent said...

The country I have the memory associated with puts it sometime between 2 and 6 years of age, but I was supplied with a child-targeted book that explained (with construction paper art and block letters) everything that that happened *after* tab A/slot B (the little wrigglers were already pat the line of scrimmage).

Tab A/Slot B was left to post-Stranger Heinlein and a strategically-hidden copy of The Joy Of Sex. I don't think I ever had That Discussion. Oh, and a shockingly graphic yet mind-numbingly boring (you want to make sex boring for teenage boys - make them memorize and recite on command the 7 stages of orgasm and the details of ovulation) sex ed class in the Episcopalian middle school I attended.

WV: compsi - without which I would not be commenting here, or likely married